IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:47:33 -0700
Drafted jointly and agreed to by consensus April
20, 2007 at the 5th International Forum on Online
Dispute Resolution in Liverpool, England – held
in collaboration with the United Nations Economic
and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific

“While information and communications
technologies (ICT) enable unprecedented
interactions between individuals around the
world, they also introduce some dynamics that can degrade dialogue.
ICT enables people to communicate immediately and
anonymously, often without moderation, and in
some circumstances this encourages behavior (such
as threats or insults) that most individuals
would never engage in face-to-face.  This
behavior may make people feel unwelcome, disrespected, or harassed in
their online interactions. Ultimately,
individuals may be dissuaded by these dynamics
from participating, which undermines the vibrancy of our global conversation.

As a result, we encourage individuals to:
• communicate online with respect
• listen carefully to others in order to understand their perspectives
• take responsibility for their words and actions
• keep criticism constructive
• respect diversity and be tolerant of differences

We embrace full and open communication and
recognize the unique opportunity for expression
in the online environment. We support freedom of
speech and reject censorship. These principles
are not intended to address what ideas can be
expressed, but rather the tone with which communications take place.”