IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2013 11:42:29 -0700
From: Brett

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/12/25/dr_gabor_mat_on_the_stress

"Much of our culture and our economy are based on exploiting people's
sense of emptiness and inadequacy, of not being enough as we are. We
have the belief that if we do this or acquire that, if we achieve
this or attain that, we'll be satisfied. This sense of lack and this
belief feed many addictive behaviors, from shopping to eating to
workaholism. In many respects we behave in a driven fashion that
differs only in degree from the desperation of the drug addict.
"My pessimism about my clients' future is based not on any limitation
of their innate potential, but on their dire social, economic and
legal situation and on the essential indifference of policy
makers--and of society--to their plight. In short, the resources that
could go into rehabilitating people are now sunk, instead, into
persecuting them and keeping them marginalized. It's a failure of
insight and of compassion. We are simply not living up to our
possibilities as a society."

http://www.amazon.com/Realm-Hungry-Ghosts-Encounters-Addiction/dp/155643880X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364323325&sr=8-1&keywords=n+the+realm+of+hungry+ghosts%3A+close+encounters+with+addiction

"People Who experience mood swings, fear, voices and visions"