IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:38:56 -0800
"The challenge : Hamdan v. Rumsfeld, and the fight over presidential power
Author :Mahler, Jonathan, 1969-

In November 2001, Salim Ahmed Hamdan, a 31-year-old Yemeni, was
captured and turned over to U.S. forces in Afghanistan. After
confessing to being Osama bin Laden's driver, Hamdan was transferred
to Guanta namo Bay, and was soon designated by President Bush for
trial before a special military tribunal. The Pentagon assigned a
military defense lawyer to represent him, a 35-year-old graduate of
the Naval Academy, Lieutenant Commander Charles Swift. No one
expected Swift to mount much of a defense. The rules of the
tribunals, America's first in over fifty years, were stacked against
him--assuming he wasn't expected to throw the game altogether.
Instead, with the help of a young constitutional law professor at
Georgetown, Neal Katyal, Swift sued the Bush Administration over the
legality of the tribunals. In 2006, Katyal argued the case before the
Supreme Court and won. This is the inside story of what may be the
most important decision on presidential power and the rule of law in
the history of the Supreme Court.--From publisher description."

(I found this compelling, admired the belief in justice, the
single-mindedness of the attorneys, the twists and strategies,
...  I'm very glad I read this.  Sylvia)

"People Who experience mood swings, fear, voices and visions"