IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2014 14:38:14 -0700
"Directing people toward the best approach for them is one of the
most basic forms of medical care. We have generally failed at
applying thoughtful triage like this to addiction in this country.
Twelve-step programs aren't appropriate for most, but there is no
question that they can be helpful to the right sort of person. The
better we are able to understand why and how this happens, the better
we can provide more effective care across the board. That will mean
ending the practice of routinely referring people to 12-step programs."

Lance Dodes, The Sober Truth: Debunking the Bad Science Behind the
12-Step Programs and the Rehab Industry, Beacon, 2014  p 133