IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:10:52 -0700
Several people have written asking how the Italian hospitals were closed,
so I decided to reply here to everyone (Nicki - juno refused to accept mail
to you, a 550 error).

The democratic psychiatry movement began in Italy in the '70s, much has
been written about it and the subsequent global impact on the user survivor
movement.  They closed all the long-term hospitals, have an integrated
community system, do hospitalize for acute situations very short term in
ordinary hospitals, I don't know if there are psych wards there.

"The process started in the mid-1970;s and was completed in 2000, when the
last group of long-term patients was discharged."

Barbato, Angelo, et al A study of long-stay patients resettled in the
community after closure of a psychiatric hospital in Italy, Psychiatric
Services, January 2004, 55:1, p 67

Michael Donnelly, The politics of mental health in Italy, 1992. London:
Routledge is one of many, many references.

Sylvia

People Who experience mood swings, fear,
voices and visions: each other on the internet
www.peoplewho.org