IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2011 09:09:36 -0700
We manipulate our memories to brace for future hardships

Jeff Galak, a Carnegie Mellon behavioral
sci­entist who worked on the study, suggests that
we remember hardships as worse than they actually
were so that when we face those experiences
again, they will be less painful than we expect.
Galak thinks that by understanding this “bracing”
strategy individuals can learn to overcome it and
stop fearing exaggerated pain. He acknowledges
that doing so may backfire, however­it is
possible, he says, that by bracing for the worst, we actually suffer less.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-power-of-negative-thinking

"People Who experience mood swings, fear, voices and visions"