IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2007 07:43:39 -0700
Should society institutionalize psychopaths, even if they haven't
broken the law?

The United Kingdom, partly in response to the 1993 abduction and
murder of two-year-old James Bulger by two ten-year-olds, and partly
classification called Dangerous and Severe Personality Disorder
(DSPD). As it stands, the government proposes to allow authorities to
detain people declared DSPD, even if they have not committed a crime.
(Sample text from one of the Web sites that have sprung up in
response: "I was diagnosed with an untreatable personality disorder
by a doctor who saw me for ten minutes, he later claimed I was a
psychopath. . . . Please don't let them do this to me; don't let them
do it to anybody. I'm not a danger to the public, nor are most
mentally ill people.")
http://www.hare.org/links/saturday.html

"People Who experience mood swings, fear, voices and visions"