IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 2013 11:33:19 -0700
Building on our previous research on the Earned Income Tax Credit, we
set out to study the impact of tax expenditures on intergenerational
mobility. We find substantial variation in the economic outcomes of
children from low income families across areas of the United States.
Some areas have rates of upward mobility comparable to the most
mobile countries in the world while others have lower rates of
mobility than any developed country for which data are currently
available. These geographical differences are modestly correlated
with variation in tax expenditure policies across areas. But much
variation in children's success across areas remains to be explained,
potentially by factors such as income segregation, school quality, or
social capital.

http://www.equality-of-opportunity.org/