IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:46:31 -0700
"Mental health problems roughly doubled in the months after Hurricane
Katrina, but thoughts of suicide among those with mental health
problems actually decreased, according to a new study.
Dr Kessler says the low prevalence of suicidal thoughts observed in
the current study can be explained by personal growth observed among
respondents, including those with mental health problems."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5727398

(I think there is a sense of connection and purpose experienced
during mass tragedy that can make depression move to the background
while identification with a community and a rebuilding project moves
to the foreground as long as the connection and project involvement
are sustained.  I don't think Kessler's quote captures that.  The
study itself does much better.  Sylvia)

http://www.npr.org/documents/2006/aug/katrina_mental_health.pdf