IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2008 11:42:45 -0700
" ... adaptations at one level [become] part of the problem at higher
levels ... "

"Selection for teamwork probably began very early in human evolution.
Human infants spontaneously point things out to others, and not merely
to get what they want, which chimpanzees do not do at any age. Symbolic
thought, language and the social transmission of information are
fundamentally communal activities that rely on trustworthy social
partners. Exploitation, cheating and free riding do exist in human
groups, but what is most remarkable is the degree to which they are
suppressed. They loom so large in our thoughts partly because we are
primed to suppress them, like a well-adapted immune system."

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1558021/evolution_for_the_good_of_the_group/

"I conclude that evolutionary concepts of self-interest do not provide a
framework for explaining how groups evolve into adaptive units. The
version based on relative fitness within groups shows that self-interest
is the problem, not the solution."

http://evolution.binghamton.edu/dswilson/resources/publications_resources/DSW10.pdf

"People Who experience mood swings, fear, voices and visions"