IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2008 10:00:42 -0700
“You need to talk about your feelings.” “Do you want to talk about it?”
“We need to talk.” Whether it’s the aftermath of a failed relationship
or the horrors of a school shooting, Americans do like to talk about
things. Talking, we feel, is healthy. Talking will help us heal. But a
study from the University of Buffalo suggests that talking’s not the
panacea we seem to think it is. Psychologists there have found that
people who don’t discuss their feelings after a tragedy actually fare
better than those who do.

The researchers were studying the mental and physical toll of grappling
with a community-wide trauma—in this case, 9/11. Shortly after the
attacks, they offered participants an opportunity to share their
thoughts. Some did, some didn’t. Two years later, the scientists found
that people who kept it inside were better off than those who let it all
hang out. The findings appear in the June issue of the Journal of
Consulting and Clinical Psychology. So maybe we should give the grief
counselors a vacation. Turn on some music. Maybe talk a walk. Feel our
feelings. But not feel like we have to share them with everyone else.

http://www.sciam.com/podcast/episode.cfm?id=6AEBB9CD-CB06-B40C-233869623A68680E

"People Who experience mood swings, fear, voices and visions"