IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:37:51 -0700
"Genes are also suggested as a cause for other brain-based phenomena;
schizophrenia is one. I choose to use this as an illustration knowing
virtually nothing about the condition, except that, as a student, the
lecturer who spoke on this topic went to great lengths to discredit
everything Freud had said about it. (Indeed, she went to great lengths to
discredit everything Freud ever said.) She also went on to propose the
hypothesis that most, if not all, religious experience was simply a
manifestation of schizophrenia. The implication here was that a diagnosis,
or more accurately the mere suspicion, of schizophrenia disqualifies
everything one has to say about anything.
Are we so ready to accept that a gene causes a condition that we overlook
the logical consequences of such assumptions? Are we too ready to use
conditions and perhaps the genes that influence them as disqualifiers?"

http://www.chester.ac.uk/~sjlewis/DM/Babies.htm

People Who experience mood swings, fear,
voices and visions: each other on the internet
www.peoplewho.org