GSTALT-L Archives

An ICORS List

GSTALT-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Philip Brownell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
An ICORS List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:11:27 -0600
Dear Peter,
I like this conversation.

What makes the God of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam the same? Each religion owns Him by referring to the history of that God with Abraham. Starts with Judaism, obviously, and with Abraham, but Christianity incorporates Tanak into the Christian Bible. Islam calls Him Allah, but makes Jesus a prophet of Allah. Certainly there are differences or else there would not be three religions. But the central idea of a religion is human relationship with God, and that God is the Abrahamic divinity. Spirit is the same concept (I developed this in my book Spiritual Competency in Psychotherapy). So, when you point to the differences, you point to the way the religion is structured, but if you look at God Himself, He’s the same God. There is God, and there is what people say about that God. In a universe, in a physics that seems almost mystical, the person of God is the main consideration. I have held for some time that the Bible is theocentric rather than Christocentric. Centered on God and what that being is doing rather than on how human beings are saved.  To me there is a bigger picture and the Bible only pulls back the curtain a few times.

On the Protestant and Catholic Gods relating to people differently.  What you say is not true.  Linda is Catholic and I am Protestant.  I go to mass with her and she goes to the service with me.  We are studying the Nicene Creed, which is recited in every mass. That group is growing, but it consists of both Catholics and Protestants, and the Protestant church also believes in the things contained in the Nicene Creed. The defining work on the creeds of Christendom was written in the 1800s by Philip Schaff, and his scholarship is esteemed and used by both the Catholic and Protestant churches. The Pope to be obeyed? This one just said that Ukraine should surrender.  Before that he said that priests could bless gay marriages (that whole issue aside). Individual priests and their churches are not in agreement with the Pope.  The priest conducts the mass, and he hears confession. The Catholics believe that the elements (wine and bread) turn into the body of Christ (flesh and blood).  The Protestants hold to versions of this that take what Jesus said about communion and His body figuratively. But both Catholics and Protestants believe that Jesus gave himself and fulfilled the type of the passover lamb so that “by his blood” we are saved (i.e. just like the blood spread on the door of the home in Egypt saved those inside from the pestilence sweeping the city). Individual Christians, whether Catholic or Protestant, walk through life with their own relationship with God, and that relationship is not mediated by clergy (it can be supported and helped or undermined, but no one takes the place of Jesus, who is the actual mediator between human beings and God).

To be saved you have to accept the sacrifice. Not quite. When I was teaching in Kyiv I had to rely on George to interpret what I was saying and I had to trust that he was interpreting me correctly. To have eternal life, you have to trust that Jesus is correctly revealing/interpreting the Father. It’s not a matter of power, oppression, or being small and mean spirited (you must believe or you can’t join the club).  It’s just a matter of how things work. So, when I was teaching in Kyiv I had to trust that George was accurately translating. I could have said, “I refuse to do this your way. I don’t trust an interpreter," and then go on to speak in English to a room where many people simply would have been lost.  Jesus defined eternal life as having the knowledge of God. If you realize that to know in this case is to have experiential knowledge (as to know a person through sexual relationship), and that when Jesus equated eternal life with the subjective, personal experience of God, then we are not talking about some abstract assertion, like when people recite a pledge of allegiance. You don’t have to pledge allegiance to God to have eternal life. You simply have to turn toward Him like Peter did when he told Jesus, “I believe; help my unbelief.” If you were hiking in rough territory and came to a rope bridge across a deep ravine, you would have to trust the ropes, trust the bridge in order to get to the other side. You could say I prefer not to.  Ok. Then you’d have to stay where you were.

Not a free gift? Absolutely a free gift, and absolutely the choice is yours.  You are free to choose what to believe and what to do. You are not free to also choose the consequences of your choice. You would not, I suspect, say that a person is free to choose to shoot little children in grade school and then also choose not to have to pay for that. Would you?  You are free to stay on one side of the ravine, but if you do, then you would stay there without the experiential relationship with God. You don’t get two choices, and that’s just how things are.

The muddiness of a world vs the “plannedness” of Christianity. Do you think the Christian life, walking with a being who cannot be sensed in any normal physical way, who at times leads a person into great sacrifice, pain, loss, hardship and in doing so expects that person to keep trusting… do you think that is any less muddy or seemingly chaotic than being without God in this world? If you do, you have swallowed a deception.  There is a movie out, just came out, titled Cabrini. Watch that movie and then tell me how “planned” (ie. predictable and boring) the walk with God in this world actually is.  Tell such an assertion to Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Mother Theresa, Martin Luther King Jr., or a host of other people to whom I could point. Going down front and accepting the Lord at some service and then going back to simply sit in the pew each week and do some kind of rote, mundane religious obligation is not the real Christian life. Eternal life IS experience, but it results in knowledge, Peter. Real knowledge. Knowledge of oneself and of God.

The Russians are talking with God while shooting missiles at Ukraine? I know. Let’s put this another way. God said through the Prophet Micah that God requires that we act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with God. Through the Prophet Amos, he said, ““I hate, I despise your feasts, and I take no delight in your solemn assemblies. Even though you offer me your burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them; and the peace offerings of your fattened animals, I will not look upon them.” Finally, through Isaiah I think God might talk to individual Russians when he says in Isaiah 1:15-17

"When you spread out your hands in prayer,
    I hide my eyes from you;
even when you offer many prayers,
    I am not listening.
Your hands are full of blood!
16 Wash and make yourselves clean.
    Take your evil deeds out of my sight;
    stop doing wrong.
17 Learn to do right; seek justice.
    Defend the oppressed.
Take up the cause of the fatherless;
    plead the case of the widow.”

When I was in Kyiv one of the lectures was on dealing with spiritual abuse, and I read for them part of Mark Twain’s war prayer. God is not obligated to do whatever we ask when we pray. God does not always respond. The Pope said he thought Ukraine should surrender. What does he think the Russians will do in their occupation of Ukraine? God does not smile on any of that.  Just because people say stupid things and then adorn themselves in self-righteousness doesn’t mean God has any part in it.

Finally, would I say that muddy people should be accepted in the house? I would say that people who like mud and from time to time get completely muddy ARE acceptable in the house if they just shower off first. That’s because God’s house has no mud in it whatsoever, and there is no mud in God’s being, no darkness. Just as there is a certain set of mathematical constants that govern the universe and things cannot exist in this universe without existing within the structure they provide, there is no shadow in the least in the being of God and His house is light, all light. No mud.  That is just the way things are.

Phil