GSTALT-L Archives

An ICORS List

GSTALT-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Bloom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
An ICORS List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2024 11:33:40 -0500
Phil:

There are always extremists on both sides.  What is new here?  But there are sides, and there are sides. :)

What is new that one side is showing all signs of being delusional worshipping a hero who’s stepped right out of the drama of Wrestlemania and the other side, at its extreme, is still caught up in some elitist worldview.

I also liked the way SCOTUS handled itself yesterday.   I don’t they were entirely right in thinking that to uphold the Colorado judgment would allow a state to dictate the elements of a national election. States do this all the time in our electoral college system. States and not the federal government determine qualifications to be on the ballot.   That said, there are  good reasons to reverse the lower court.   Pragmatically, to affirm it would set the nation on fire. So we look to bona fide legal theories to justify the pragmatic end — reversal. And from what I heard, there were some.  The pragmatic end determines the means.  This is why there is likely to be a unanimous decision.

SCOTUS does have buttons to be pushed.  Alito and Thomas do not usually offer well reasoned opinions, although sometimes — sometimes — Thomas has surprised us.   But is there a doubt that he should recuse himself from all these cases?

Look over its history. SCOTUS shows itself as opportunistic, dictatorial, racist, and unfair. It has often reinforced economic inequalities and disrupted the rights of people to vote. It is innovative and often holds itself to ideals that represent the best of who we are.  I’ve been impressed by conservative and progressive options just about equally.  And I’ve been annoyed by partisan decisions that made bad law.

Do you remember Bush v Gore?  In a terribly reasoned and legally unjustifiable decision, SCOTUS stopped a recount of the Fla votes.  It was terrible law.  It was so bad that they even knew it when they said, in the decision, is applies only to one case and cannot be precedent.

Let’s see how they handle the issue of Trump’s culpability for acts made while in office.   This is a case that should not be even close.

It is not fair to use SCOTUS as an instance of people not being “paid for by Trump. That is unless you count Thomas whose wife participated in the insurrection.   I was referring to Congress and the Republican Party.  They are not being paid. At least that would make some sense to me.  I still don’t understand the appeal of authoritarianism that “trumps” good judgment.

Dan