GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:25:12 -0400
I first of all wish to express my sincere condolence to the family of the
young man that was senselessly massacred yesterday and by extension to the
entire Opposition family that is fighting to liberate our country from
tyranny. No single Gambian blood should have been spilled in this quest to
remove from office the man that ordered the slaughter (in cold blood) of
defenseless children as young as three. The reign of terror will end
tomorrow.

Having said that, I want to also say that every Gambian should expect
anything between now and Friday. The (unarmed) young Alliance supporter was
gunned down by a member of Yaya’s Presidential Guard.  This has NOTHING to
do with the GNA as such. They (the Presidential Guard) were trying to redeem
themselves after Yaya and his cohorts were humiliated the day before and had
to be extricated from the thousands of supporters of the Alliance, thanks to
Ousainou Darboe who called in the IEC. I now believe the story that was
floating immediately after the Monday incident that Yaya ordered the
security officers in his entourage to shoot at the Alliance supporters, but
instead they shot in the air.  YAYA WAS NOT PLEASED WITH THAT ACTION.  So
yesterday, he came again, this time with different men from the Presidential
Guard who did what he wanted done on Monday.

Now I am convinced that the provocation by the APRC was designed to send a
'message' to the Gambians that will scare them.  Well, we have news for Yaya
and his band of bandits that have brought shame and disrepute to our
beautiful country: ‘Gambians have gone past the point of being scared of
guns. IT IS EITHER FREEDOM OR DEATH.’  Gambians saw what happened in Ivory
Coast and in Ghana.

The APRC provoked what transpired yesterday at Tallining.  These people
wanted to hold 5 different rallies within the area just to confront the
Alliance. As God would have it, one of the International observers, a
British MP, who was interviewed by the BBC saw the dead body of the young
supporter of the Alliance. This observer interviewed a security officer who
subsequently offered to take him to the APRC officials for their version of
the incident when he was suddenly seized by another security officer who
whisked him away. The fate of that security officer is presently in doubt.
His crime?  Offering a foreign observer the opportunity to talk to the other
side i.e. the Government side.

They know why they didn't want to talk to the British MP.  They have killed
an innocent young Gambian who was out to exercise his democratic right by
supporting the candidate of his choice. As I write, there are reports that
another young lady has been fatally wounded also but I have not been able to
confirm this.

On other issues of great importance to the elections, Gabriel Roberts has
buckled under pressure from the Opposition, ordinary Gambians, the
International Observers, etc. Gabriel Roberts has announced that ONLY THOSE
VOTERS WITH VOTING CARDS AND ARE ON THE REGISTERS ARE ELIGIBLE TO VOTE.  By
this decision alone, thousands of non-Gambians, folks from the Cassamance
and Guinea-Bissau have been denied access to the voting booth. The
Opposition agents (Alliance, NRP, PDOIS, NCP) have been instructed to deny
this category of APRC 'supporters' the right to vote. The word is VIGILANCE.
We will also hold Roberts to his re-stating the LAW and his word from here
to eternity. YAYA CANNOT CHANGE THE LAW NOW, NEITHER CAN THE IEC CHAIRMAN.

I wish to relay to every peace loving person on the G_L and indeed
everywhere, the assurance I got from the ground that the elections will
proceed as planned. The APRC will try everything in the book to cause
trouble but the election will proceed and that the Alliance WILL WIN, HANDS
DOWN in Round One. Yaya knows it, Yankuba knows it, Famara Jatta knows it
and the most fanatical supporter of Yaya on G_L knows it i.e. Tombong. As
for Ousman Bojang, his problem is that he such a moron that he CANNOT
distinguish a fictitious information from the Gambia if he sees one - he
calls it the other side of the story from Gambia when in actual fact the
story is coming from his buddies in Taiwan. If you ask me, it is regrettable
that the APRC MP escaped with his life. This man should have been given a
dose of their own medicine. It is tit-for-tat - FULL STOP. We keep telling
the APRC that 2001 elections are entirely different from the 1996 elections.
We are ready to die for FREEDOM. WE ARE NOT SCARED OF GUNS AND THE ARMY WILL
STAY AWAY IN 2001.

Darboe is relaxed, receiving well wishers, and ready to assume his
responsibility as President of THE FREE REPUBLIC OF THE GAMBIA. No third
Republic business here. A complete break from the past, start anew, under a
new, intelligent, tolerant, articulate and educated (To have an educated
president and not a high school drop out is extremely important as Gambians
came to learn the hard way). Darboe will be the President of ALL Gambians
not a president of a select few.
KB