GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:10:07 GMT
Gambia-L:

Another e-mail from one of my sources in the Gambia.

Ebrima Ceesay

Ebrima,

The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) says that henceforth, the IEC
will be responsible for the issuance of permits to hold political rallies
and not the Police. Ebrima, the IEC is now beginning to flex its muscle
having also received encouragement from the diplomatic community. The Police
have been using discriminatory practices against the opposition with regard
to issuing permits. In fact, the APRC's planned Bakau rally scheduled for
yesterday, Sunday, was postponed on the advise of the Attorney General. The
IEC also declared that in the coming elections, all votes will be counted
transparently. If you will recall, Ebrima, during the 1996 elections,
ballots were removed from polling stations without Political Party
representatives being present. BUT THAT GAME WILL NOT BE ALLOWED IN FUTURE
ELECTIONS. Ebrima, we are determined to have an open election. NOTHING LESS
WILL BE ACCEPTABLE AND/OR RECOGNISED BY BOTH THE POPULATION AND THE
INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY.