GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
SUNTOU TOURAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:14:55 +0000
masoud.our country is experiencing an influx of foriegn investors in the land industry.from reggae musicians to whites .the lands in the kombos are slowly falling in the hands of the frequent tourist.some of this toursit are buying big lands for retirement homes.from sukuta to gunjure ,from sanyang to kukujang mariama ,the tourist are buying most of the farm lands.
  it is making me wonder about the future .people are freely selling lands that they need for their future generation .the zimbabwe situation may befall us.jamaican reggae stars are buying heavily in the gunjure region.i was shown a land owned by buju banton .the area they say is a government TDA (tourism development area).but land dealers sold the lands to unsuspecting foriegn buyers including buju .

  how can the trend of land selling be coube ? there is demand but what about family expansion for the kombo people ? i am no kombonka but i feel for them .

  the other sector of foriegn investment is the banking industry.we now have ACCESS BANK,QUARANTEE TRUST BANK,FIRST INTERNATIONAL BANK,AND THREE MORE ON THERE WAY INTO TINY GAMBIA.

  the banks are easily handing loans to civil sevants and business men.the competition is very high.what is going to be the implications for this loan repayments ? the interest rates are in the region of 25% .
  is the gambia morgaging itself to foriegn banks ? i wonder .

Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

The bane of a circus is comedy. I am pleased you're taking it all in stride.
If birds could speak to us!!!

Masoud. Haroun. MQDT. Al Mutawakkil.

In a message dated 11/10/2007 12:23:01 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,