GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 14:32:53 EDT
Brother Musa Jeng,

We will have to agree to disagree on this issue.
I wish that life was as simple as just compartmentalizing each little action
or person by itself and leaving it at that, but that cannot be the case
especially where politics is concerned, and especially when it comes to the politics
of international relations which can have very far reaching effects. Any
president has to be a representative of all the people, and refrain from engaging
in factionalism. Their actions therefore have consequences and have to be
examined, commented about and protested by the people if it si not in their best
interest.
At the same time, we cannot afford to side-step the hard hitting issue of
tribalism if we are to avoid a situation where this practice will one day bring
about atrocities that could have been avoided had we addressed the issue
openly.
Yaya Jammeh's tribalistic leanings victimize those Jolas who do not support
him and at the same time kindle anti-Jola sentiments from the general public.
It forsters tribal animosity in our midst, and discuss it we must. We have to
make it abundantly clear to those who play the tribal card, whether openly or
cleverly behind the scenes that they are starting out on a road that inevitably
leads to disaster, and the people cannot afford to tolerate such things
anymore.. Kanilai has electricity 24 hours a day and rice is cheaper in the Fonis.
The man's actions cannot be separated from the consequences they bring about
and we cannot just label them as an ego trip on his part and move on.
His involvement in the Casamance affair has the potential to cause friction
between us and Senegal and Gambians cannot afford to take the position of
simply stating that Jammeh is on an ego trip and stop there.
Unless and until we understand that Jammeh's actions can disrupt the peace
and tranquility in our country and that it is the average citizen who will be
the victim as opposed to Yaya Jammeh who instigated the discord, we risk being
the enablers of those who are working to distabilize our country.
Thank you for your comments.

Jabou Joh