GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pierre Gomez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:14:35 -0500
I do belief that if everyone is sincere enough, we would have been able to accept
that the problems in the Gambia today are not entirely the making of Jammeh. While
i feel that Jammeh must be held accountable for sixty percent of the problems, other
parties to be blamed include Jawara, Senegalese forces and Kukoi. Senegalese forces
once raided the Brikama Police station and beat officers on duty mercilessely. I
don't need to mention the numerous daily abuses and assults unleashed on the Gambians.
How about Jawara? Here is a man who told Gambians "I will not offer myself as a
presidential candidate when my term ends on 11th April 1992". Not only did he made
a U-turn, but promoted Sabally and others who publicly cried at that Mansakonko
meeting. Those who did not cry were demoted. The Awa Magazine was closed down for
claiming that 'crocodile tears were shed for Jawara'. Do i also have to add that
Jawara who promised that he will purnish those found guilty during the Sanna Manneh's
case were instead rewarded and Sana made to abandon his paper? What about the massive
operations by the NSS in the early nineties, during which suspected oppositions
where arrested and turtured in detention on the grounds of having suspected links
of Kukoi? As for Jammeh, his hands are still stained with blood and as such, i cannot
talk about him. My point therefore is, all of them should be held responsible so
that future leaders will realise that we are capable of holding mischief makers
accountalbe when they leave office  God Bless the Gambia.