GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malamin Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 14:45:29 +0000
Paul you wrote:

"Election is not a new thing in The Gambia; infact many countries should be
seeking assistance of how to conduct  elections from us than we need to
do.The presence of international observers makes no difference.Why do we
need international observers? Don't you have trust on your own people? Are
you saying Gambians are so faithless that they will sway away the victory
from the real winner to somebody else? I hope not.It is high time we threw
those backward mentalities that what is done or headed by a Gambian is never
done in the right way.This is a wrong concept that can lead to wrong
judgements.If you think Gambians can be corrupted and biased,the so-called
international observers can do the same.After all what do they have to lose?
Nothing! How many times have international organizations fail their
assignements,especially in Africa?These ideas are colonial mentalities to
blindfold us that Western ways are always the best.Don't be fooled they are
the worst."

You take what I wrote to mean something completely different from what i
meant. This has nothing to do with the west. These observers can come from
senegal, OAU, Ecowas. You are dead wrong to think that I don't have faith in
Gambians. That shows how well you know me. The mentality you mentioned" what
ever is done by Gambians can never be done right" You said that not ME. I
didn't even insinuated anything close to that. Yahya control's the military,
police, july 22 tugs. Do you remember April 10 & 11, 2000. Whatever came off
that. The head of the IEC is a prostitute of Yahya. They can intimidate
local obsrvers or their family member and make them dissappear anytime they
want. Please reread what I wrote and get back to me.

MJohnson