GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
jamba jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:38:02 +0000
The statement made by Sidia Jatta with regards to the annulment of decree 89
and the jubilations sorrounding, confirms the lack of clarity by many
politicians who are still scared to assert their rights in the face of
tyranny. All they can wait for is Jammeh to declare that they can now assume
an enshrined right and they feel at ease,they are never willing to challenge
and take chances to expose the regime for what it is. I think it is about
time for politicians to stand for what they belive even if they are to
suffer for it, a politician with a faint heart cannot defend his own rights
let alone that of the people. I have always hold the believe that all the
decrees where null and void from the inception of the supreme document the
constitution, the constitution have many rights enshrined in it the people
must assert these rights if Jammeh and his thugs decided to flout it the the
whole world will see it nothing provokes intrest than to incaserate high
profile politicians , it hunts any regime, because it will aslways be a
subject of questioning any where one goes it wags upon you.  It this reality
that people like Dibba, Camara and others need to know, there cannot be a
better way of struggle than challenge a tyrant to show his true colours.
Instead of confronting Jammeh like little children they beg him for what is
their right, no wonder, Gambia is still backward with leaders like these
steering our ship since independence.  The can enjoy the privileges but
faced with the challenges they recluse into their shells and play it safe. I
remember when the AFPRC came to power and Sidia Jatta and Halifa were
arrested, Dibba was at the time in favour of Jawaras overthrow, he remarked
about Halifa and Sidia as agent provocateur!.  Can you imagine people
defending a right that affected everyone being described in such by a
veteran politician, one wonders what Dibba would have done to these people
had he had the power.

You see these are not times to jubilliate or castigate each other or even
make Jawara a subject matter after all Jawara is spent force with no
patronage to rely upon I think we should move forward and focus on the most
important task of educating each othert so that any tyrant be it Jammeh or
anyone else cannot survive through either subjugation or patronage.  The
fact that peopole complain about buying of votes clearly suggest that the
electorate is not yet awaqre of the importance of the vote, hence it makes
it incumbent upon all of us who are aware to teach those who are not so that
we can all be liberated from all types of charlatants.