GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoul Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 20:32:48 +0000
Culled From

The Observer (Banjul)

August 6, 2002 Posted to the web August 6, 2002

Banjul

Gambians in America speak out.

Gambians resident in America have voiced out their concerns on the country's
democratic process.
The press release from Gambians in Atlanta was signed by their president
Salifu Jallow, chairman of the APRC Atlanta organisation.
Below we reproduce the full text of the release:
We want to take this opportunity to thank the leadership and supporters of
the United Gambian Organisation of Atlanta (UGOA) for holding such a
historically significant event. We support any initiative to promote
constructive dialogue throughout the diaspora among the Gambian people. We
listened very carefully to the other presenters, Dr Abdoulaye Saine and Mr.
Waa Juwara aka Mbarodi. We also appreciated the input of many of the
audience participants many of them members of the local APRC chapter and
others who voiced their support and commitment. Dr Saine attempted to
present an intelligent and sensitive analysis of the conditions of The
Gambia.

However, his concerns, although they may have been well intended, led him to
many contradictions. His failure to take into account the historical
realities of colonialism in his summarisation resulted in his seeking to
place blame for what he perceived as shortcomings and failures of APRC.
Thus, what has been accepted by some Gambians as a legitimate and critical
analysis misses the mark by far. A first year student of International
Economics and Development might find a number of significant points to
criticise his paper.

However, he was very respectful and sincere in his presentation and to his
credit, he sought to encourage the audience to conduct critical thinking
about such issues as infrastructure development, medical and health care,
education, and family relationships. We encourage our intellectuals to move
beyond analysis and invest their time and talent in meaningful development
strategies that will help produce businesses and institutions that will
expand opportunities for our people. Intellectuals often spend so much time
demanding that the government do this and that, yet fail to recognise that
in the free market economies of the west, the individual, the organisation,
and teams of entrepreneurs are the driving forces for creating opportunity.

The argument that a large number of' "Jolas" are in significant roles in the
government despite their being a minority simply serves to fuel the culture
of ethnic rivalry and tribalism that threatens the long term stability of
The Gambia. How do we profess to be a progressive nation yet look down on
each other because of our tribal affiliations? We cannot afford to promote
one group as being superior to another.
Ethnic superiority is merely the false illusion of superiority based on
tribal affiliation. The leadership of any country reserves the right to
select key people for various positions. The fact is that employment in the
military sector is one of the smallest sectors in our country.

Finally, Dr. Saine can be assured that the government of President Jammeh
understands how critical the agricultural sector is to our economy. We will
preserve our farmers, our youth, our women, our families and our future. The
APRC government is moving beyond doing a cursory analysis of our problems as
a nation to structuring sustainable growth and development strategies that
will enable us to become a world-class society and a world-class economy.

Perhaps we should consider these comments: "The Gambian authorities are to
be commended for The Gambia's generally encouraging economic performance
since 1998 under the PRGF arrangement. During this period.

The Gambia experienced sustained per capita GDP growth and low inflation and
an improvement in the fiscal balance. The authorities took corrective
measures, including the adoption of an appropriate macroeconomic framework
and supporting policies for 2002-2004 in response to pressures on the budget
that emerged earlier this year. On the basis of the corrective measures, the
Board granted a waiver for the non-observance of the quantitative
performance criterion with respect to net bank credit to the Central
Government, and the second review was completed."
IMF report 12/2001

Speaking on the occasion of the commemoration of his country's National Day
(4"' of July) at his Fajara residence yesterday, Mr McDonald said: "The
United States recognises that The Gambia has made significant progress
towards democracy, the rule of law and respect for basic human rights".
U.S. Ambassador Jackson McDonald,

"Mr. Chambas who was attending a recent meeting in Ghana of Central Bank
Governors whose countries are working stridently towards abolishing their
individual currencies for a single West African currency told journalists in
Accra that The Gambia's rate of inflation, which is somewhat slower than its
much larger neighbours, stands a good chance of meeting the required
'minimum inflation', before the deadline, which may not be met by the other
countries due to their seemingly irreversible rate of inflation."
The Independent (Banjul) July 1, 2002

There is undoubtedly a place in The Gambia for intellectuals who contribute
to the growth and development of the lives of our people. APRC and our
leader President Yahya Jammeh, will continue to provide the kind of
leadership that will build infrastructure, viable institutions, reduce
infant mortality, improve education, healthcare and the quality of life of
our people. It is questionable whether there is a place in The Gambia for
sterile unproductive intellectuals who believe that criticism and
unqualified scholarship should be masqueraded as a contribution to our
future!

Clearly, the Gambian people wherever you find them in the world, all share a
deep and common love for The Gambia and wish to return home. We can hear and
feel the concerns of the Gambia people. We want to point out that a
"constructive dialogue" can indeed be an effective tool for nation building.
The first reality we must face is that President Jammeh is the elected
leader of the people of Gambia, he has not only received that honour once
but for a second term. The promotion of emotional rhetoric and fiery words
from those who lost the election must be tolerated. However, one has to
challenge their sense of patriotism and their clarity on Gambia's role on
the World scene. We have to stop conducting our affairs like a bunch of
quarrelling children in a neighbourhood backyard and realise that we are
rapidly seeking to become a more significant leader on the continent of
Africa and indeed on the world scene. We need a moratorium on this "war of
words". The Gambian people do not benefit from abusing each other. We cannot
fix our problems or effectively address our social dilemmas across a void of
meaningless rhetoric, hatred, anger and a cycle of vengeance.

The leadership of the APRC both here and in The Gambia has much larger
concerns than fiery rhetoric and emotional speeches that do not provide
constructive solutions to our problems. We are reminded of the words of
former Ambassador George W. Haley on the occasion of his 75th birthday:
"Instead of informing the populace about programs and plans, too many public
figures engage in personal attacks and the publication of rumours just for
sensational effect."

Because Mr. Waa Juwara is an elder and member of a political party in The
Gambia none of the members of the Atlanta APRC wished to disrespect him, or
criticise him in an open forum. But, frankly many of his remarks were
designed to fan the flames of anger and emotion. He launched a number of
claims and charges without putting forth any real substantial evidence.
Slander and defamation of the character and reputation of the leadership of
the Gambia does nothing to move us forward as a people. It is a disservice
to democracy and certainly not a means to facilitate peace, progress,
productivity and prosperity.

Perhaps, he failed to recognise that there was a large number of APRC
supporters and members at this event. Perhaps because no one was rude enough
to get up and shout him down by voicing disagreement with the majority of
sentiments he fostered.

Many persons in attendance viewed his presentation with a quiet disdain
because it was so negative. His effort to discredit the recent elections and
his unwillingness to acknowledge the gesture of reconciliation by President
Jammeh in facilitating a peaceful and dignified return of Sir Dawda Jawara
to his homeland was unquestionable. Instead he chose to cheapen that
important symbolic effort.

We will succeed as a nation with the help of Almighty God, despite the
criticism of the blamers. We have a small but vocal and angry group of
partisans who seem unable to move toward productive contributions to our
peace, productivity, progress, and prosperity. Threats of frustrating the
APRC Government's capacity to achieve its goals are both empty and foolish.
Our leadership, our government, our people are woven together in a delicate
tapestry. APRC seeks to preserve that tapestry and our future. The sacrifice
of patriots will require the elimination of angry, emotional and meaningless
rhetoric. We must move forward, we must stand together.

No nation is without its tragedies and social ills. The leadership of the
APRC is deeply committed to moving us forward as a nation. However, we do
not have the luxury of making ourselves look like a nation of buffoons to
the rest of the world. The tragedy of April 2000 touched the lives of all
Gambians. The authorities on the ground made a serious error in judgment.
The students made a serious error in judgment when they sought to take the
law into their own hands and defy the legally constituted authority. A
tragedy was the end result. A tragedy that we will all live with and regret
for a long, long, time. However, it is unethical and immoral to lay the
blame for this tragedy at the feet of the President. Those persons who
continue to blame him personally -the head of state-in this tragedy fail to
recognise the realities of the situation.

It does not make sense anywhere in the world for people to redress their
grievances legitimate or otherwise by confronting armed security personnel.
Certainly, we as Gambians do not have to resort to stone throwing and
rioting to solve our problems. The person or persons accused of committing
the crimes that triggered this incident should have been brought to the
proper authority. Whatever legitimate legal and political means to do so
should have been utilised. . The fact is those persons who instigated the
students by fanning their emotions and pushing them into the melee - must
share the blame for this tragedy.

We encourage those individuals who want to provide financial support to the
children in need of medical assistance to do so. Dissent should be peaceful
and constructive. We need to sit at the table together as a "Gambian family"
and work through our future as a nation of civilized and intelligent people.
We should understand from this experience that rock throwing and emotional
confrontations in our streets will not bring about justice nor peaceful
resolution to our problems. When people commit crimes, there must be a
process governed by the rule of law to bring them to justice. We are praying
for these families and we are praying for the healing of the nation.

The leading nations of the International community: The so-called G-8
nations are looking at Africa. The Council of Foreign Relations, The
Tri-lateral commission, the Bilderberg Group, The World Bank, The
International Monetary Fund, The World Trade Organisation and other
International strategic think tanks and intelligence agencies are assessing
"their long term interest in the critical resources of the continent. We are
a major gateway to the continent. There is a serious debate raging in
political circles around the globe concerning the future of Africans. Some
are advocating the so-called "benevolent colonialism".

Still others are simply writing Africa off as a continent of primitive
savages incapable of self-government or of rising to world-class leadership.
Even more terrifying are those who would let the continent be ravaged by
aids, Ebola smallpox, malaria and even more terrifying diseases. We are
burdened with politicians who should be asked: "What did you do during your
term in offices? What substantive legacy and benefit have you left our
people in the many positions that you held?" We have the right to know and
the responsibility to ask. However, those who do not wish to see a stable
African continent, a stable African nation, and a stable Gambia must be
amused at our petty child-like squabbles. We have had some tragedies, we
have had some shocks. But, the Almighty has protected us from the crises in
the Sudan or Rwanda or South Africa. We have emerged in the 21st century as
one of the nations with great potential for a bright and meaningful future.

We have our enemies. Our enemies will revel in our so-called freedom to
castigate ourselves on the world's stage. Those people who love to humiliate
and degrade the reputation of our leader, and our country fail to recognise
that the ultimate victim of their tirades and harangues are our own people.
They give our enemies fuel to undermine our future. We must wonder how far
they will go. The vast majority of Gambians want desperately to have a
peaceful, productive and prosperous future. The APRC of Atlanta joins the
APRC of Gambia under the leadership of our President H E Yahya AJJ Jammeh in
a call for peace, productivity, progress and prosperity. The time is at hand
and the future is bright before us.