GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 10:44:16 EDT
In a message dated 10/13/2001 7:58:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> .  On another development, Ousainou Darboe
> >has warned civil servants who are blatantly supporting the APRC to the
> >extent of wearing "Asobis" that he wouldn't work with them should he be
> >elected President.  He specifically mentioned The Gambia Ports Authority
> >Management, the Management of SSHFC and GPTC. These folks know who they
> >are; so let them consider this warning as notice to retire gracefully come
> >19th October 2001. Ousainou's Government will not terminate civil servants'
> >services willy nilly without due process.
>

> Well, Ebrima, we definitely appreciate your sources and the insight they
> bring here, but this particular statement that is attributed to Ousainou
> Darboe is if great concern to me and should be to every Gambian. Does this
> mean that if Darboe should win, we are to revisit the dismissal of civil
> servants due to their party affiliations? Are we to understand that this
> party that promises to uphold and protect the human rights of all Gambians
> as his supportes have been teling us daily on this forum, and a party that
> hasbeen fighting to depose a dictatorship because of the way this
> dictatorship has trampled the rights of Gambians is now telling us that if
> they get into power people will be dimiissed because they exercised their
> constitutional right to support a particular political party and display
> that fact openly?
> I do hope that someone in a position of responsibility in Mr Darboe's
> organization will shed light on this statement that is attributed to him
> because this is not a very comforting statement coming from any party's
> leader at this time, whether it is Darboe or anyone else. If the candidate
> I support made this statement, I will confront him myself because we are
> fighting to have a country where everyone is free to support whatever party
> or candidate the ychoose without being persicuted for it or being
> threatened with dismissal from their jobs because if this.
> I notice that the addendum to the statement says that no civil servant will
> be dismissed without due process, and I would like to know just what kind
> of due process one can produce as justification to terminate anyone because
> they manifested their support for the candidate of their choice during a
> presidential election. This particular statement sounds exactly like
> something that Jammeh would make, and it sounds like political coercion and
> blackmail that should not come from any respectable candidate. Darboe will
> do himself a big favour by addresing this statement attributed to him.
This should concern all of us, and again, in advance, I beg those who
relegate any sober statement as being motivated by hatred to give us a break.
I do not hate anyone as that is a waste of time and an exercise for the
stupid. What  i disagree wit hare methods employed by certain groups, and
which will be detrimental to our progress in our search for true freedom in
our country.

For KB's information and before you jumps on the hatred bandwagon again as he
si inclined to do, Ousainou Darboe went out of his way to ask for my phone
number and to have someone call me to ask my oermision for him to call me
when he was here the last time. He called me athome to commend me for my
contribution to the struggel, and we also chatted about other things. I have
since come to the realization that Darboe and I do not share the same modus
operandi in moving our country forward, but that is not the same as hatred.
Therefore, let us try to think straight, and to advice our leaders to also
think clearly so that we d onot repeat the past here.

Jabou Joh