GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 11:47:44 GMT
Mrs/Ms Ceesay,

You're one courageous lady to be saying on the List what you've said. In
truth, I've received numerous private e-mail messages from Gambians living
in Gambia, Scandinavia, Western Europe, South Africa and different parts of
the US saying basically what you've said. Majority doesn't necessarily
equate with being right, but if this were an election, Halifa has just lost
his fourth bid. Simply, for every Jabou Joh or Musa Jeng, there are TEN
Fatou Ceesays! And you're right on the money regarding the fact that we are
not the first to raise these issues with Halifa, and we won't be the last.
Some people seem to believe this whole debate is a conspiracy to sully the
image of Halifa Sallah. Well, if it is, then god help Halifa because
literally thousands of Gambians are in on the conspiracy! And it's the most
diverse group of citizens you can think of: illiterate Market vendors, watch
men, civil servants, politicians, students, professionals, and
intellectuals. But somehow, we're all liars, hypocrites, and dishonorable
people. If that makes sense, then sensibility has a whole new meaning.

In any case, the debate lost steam not because of the intervention of
pro-Halifa saboteurs, but because of Halifa's own intransigence. He has
employed all types of tricks; from totally ignoring direct questions, to
turning his own 1996 public pronouncements into a "logic" issue. This is
someone who said he DID NOT see anything wrong with Yaya Jammeh turning the
APFRC into a political party and running for office in '96. Asked about
that, you saw how he turned the whole thing into a "logic" issue: "your
crude logic tells you ..." What has MY logic got to do with what the man
said in '96? Nothing! And it was the same style on the other issues. Yet, he
is the one who has been consistently accusing us of insincerity.

But to be honest, I've enjoyed the exchange. It showed me a part of Halifa
Sallah that I had to see to believe. I have most of the exchanges on my
Desktop folder, and I read thru some quite often for fun. Some of the
tricks/mind games the man plays on people are hilarious. I'll leave you with
my favorite [He was responding to one of my contentions:] "...ANYBODY WHO
BELIEVES THAT IS EITHER GUILTY OF CLUMSY TRICKERY OR CRASS STUPIDITY." But
wait a minute Lady, because Mr. Sallah is very Polite, for he continues "I
HOPE NONE OF THAT APPLIES TO YOU." Great guy this man! You come to Jarra,
and declare that all Jarrankas are fools, but even before your declaration
sinks in, you try exempting the Alkalos. Here he is, giving me an "either
or" choice, but simultaneously feigning politeness by hoping none of the
choices applies to me! And he probably thinks I missed this. Well Mr.
Sallah, I didn't. I had a field day! But Fatou, that has been the most
revealing line for me throughout our exchange. Simply, it betrays the
psychology of someone who likes to have it both ways, and thinks none will
be the wiser. That's why I'll go with the Waa Juwaras, the Shingle Nyassis,
and the OJs (Foday Dusuba of S/K East.)

I thank you for your opinion.

Good morning!

Saul.

ps. By the way, my mother loves to talk about Foday Dusuba. The story of
Kebuteh is pretty familiar.