GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2006 19:32:24 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No. 117/2006, 29 Dec 2006 - 02 Jan  2007

Editorial
SEPARATION OF NIA FUNCTIONS FROM MILITARY AND POLICE  FUNCTIONS
IS DETENTION WITHOUT TRIAL ON THE WAY OUT?

On the way out Foroyaa has been informed that measures are being taken to
put an end to the trend of detention without trial which has earned the country
so much bad publicity. The trend can only come if the authorities try to
separate NIA functions from Military and Police functions.
Section 178  of the constitution establishes a police force and asserted that
“the police  shall be equipped and maintained to perform its traditional role
of maintaining  law and order, and such other functions as may he prescribed
by an Act of the  National Assembly.”
Section 186 of the constitution established the Armed  Forces of The Gambia.
It states that “the Armed Forces shall be equipped and  maintained to perform
their role of defence of the Gambia as well as such other  functions for the
development of The Gambia as provided in this  constitution.”
Those functions are spelt out in section 187 which states that  “the
principal functions of the Armed Forces are:
(a) To preserve and defend  the sovereignty and territorial integrity of The
Gambia
(b) To aid the civil  authorities at their request in emergencies and in the
case of national  disasters.........”
The provision emphasises among other things that “it  shall be the duty of
the members of the Armed Forces to respect the fundermental  rights and freedoms
of other persons”.
Section 191 established the National  Intelligence Agency under the direct
command of the president.
The functions  of the NIA are to:
(a)        obtain and  provide the government with information relating to
actions or intentions of  persons which may be a threat to state  security;
(b)        protect the security  of the state, generally, and in particular,
protect the state against threats  from espionage, terrorism and activities
relating to sabortage undertaken by  Gambians or foreigners, agents of foreign
powers, organisations or  institutions;
(c)        take adequate  precautions to protect the state against actions
which may undermine the  government or leads to the overthrow of the government
through industrial,  violent or other means;
(d)        take  necessary measures to safeguard the welfare and economic
wellbeing of the  persons living in The Gambia, against threats posed by internal
or external  aggressors;
(e)        investigate and  obtain information relating to the prevention or
detection of serious or  economic crime; and
(f)          undertake such assignment as may be assigned to it by council.
Hence the  proper thing for the NIA to do is to restrict it self to gathering
information  which it can pass to the military intelligence when it deals
with threats to  national security and to the police when it deals with law
enforcement  issues.
This will free the NIA headquarters of detainees and make it  unnecessary to
take a person to such headquarters. They could conduct  investigations of
matters with the police and armed forces.
The separation of  functions is absolutely essential to change the image of
the  NIA.

NEW YEAR MESSAGE FROM THE NADD FLAG BEARER
The year 2006 is  almost behind us. The year 2007 is about to dawn. The
Gambia is at a cross road.  The Gambian people are faced with a most challenging
task after the 2006  Presidential Election. They are now to decide at the down
of a new year who  their law makers will be. This task is not a simple one.
This is why the mind of  those who are to perform it must be tempered by
experience, reason and the  national interest.
As the Gambian Nation goes through its many holidays it is  important to
point out that joy evades the heart which is chambered in a body  living in
poverty and fear. It is the duty of all Gambians, the governed, as  well as those
who govern to combat poverty and injustice. No one should live on  less than I
dollar a day!! No parent should be insecure; no child should be  deprived of
the care of parents because of unlawful detention!! No home should  be deprived
of a bread winner because of unjust and unlawful dismissal!! No one  should be
subjected to torture or degrading punishment!! Mercy should be shown  to
those who have served long term sentences like Lamin Darboe who was  imprisoned
before the coup d’etat of 1994.
The Gambian people want a society  based on justice and mercy, truth and
reconciliation, repentance and  forgiveness. The hearts of leaders should beat in
unison with the heart beat of  the poor and the oppressed. Such leaders will
not allow might to become right.  They will not close their eyes to any form of
injustice. Such leaders, who would  not do or cause to be done any action
that violates the rights of others, are  the cultivators of peace and prosperity
on the face of the earth.
The  constitution demands that the Gambia should be a democratic state
dedicated to  freedom, peace, progress, prosperity and justice, one that is founded
on the  principles of tolerance, probity and accountability, one that provides
just and  equitable opportunities to all and reward each  according to his or
her  capacity and contribution to the common good.
As we face another year of  uncertainty as to what type of life is in store
for the vast majority of our  people political, religious, traditional and
community leaders should bear it in  their mind that the most stable democracy is
one that guarantees liberty and  prosperity to the people.
The most important National event that requires a  New Year resolution is how
a person intends to vote in the forthcoming National  Assembly elections.
It is important to point out that Gambians now have the  option of preserving
a multi party political environment which promotes debates  and expression of
divergent views or create a one party state and isolate Gambia  from the
community of democratic nations.
There are those intellectuals who  claim that the APRC executive needs a
loyal APRC National Assembly to get its  programmes and projects to be
implemented. This does not reveal a high grade  understanding of the role of the National
Assembly under the 1997 constitution.  The letter and spirit of the
constitution calls for a National Assembly that can  criticize, scrutinize and restrain
the executive so that it will neither be  corrupt nor violate the
constitution.
The preamble of the constitution which  conveys the spirit of the
constitution states that the functions of the arms of  the state “have been clearly
defined, their independence amply secured with  adequate checks and balances to
ensure that they work harmoniously together  towards our common good.
There is therefore separation of powers between the  executive and the
National Assembly. A National Assembly member cannot be a  member of the executive.
The National Assembly has the function of scrutinizing  the operations of
secretaries of state. Infact according to section 75 of the  constitution, “the
National Assembly can pass a vote of censure on a secretary  of state for abuse
of office or violation of any provision of the constitution  or for his or her
misconduct in office.
Misconduct is defined as any conduct  which brings or is likely to bring his
or her office into contempt or disrepute  or has dishonestly done or failed to
do anything that is prejudicial or inimical  to the economy of the Gambia.
Section 62 of the constitution also empowers the  National Assembly to remove a
president for “abuse of office, willful violation  of the provision of the
constitution or for misconduct.”
In short, the  National Assembly is to check how the executive exercise its
powers. It  established committees to monitor the activities of each department
of state. It  evaluates and passes bills and ratifies International
agreements. The work of a  National Assembly is therefore not an ordinary task. A bill
like the Income and  Sales Tax Bill had 212 pages which had to be read and
understood by members of  the parliament. The estimates of government revenue and
expenditure are often  close to 300 pages which require scrutiny.
International agreements are often  written in a technical language which requires
detailed study to unravel things  that may not be in the national interest. National
Assembly members also attend  international conferences where they have to
make contributions. This often  requires intellectual maturity. As we poise to
select National Assembly members,  it is important  for people to know that
they are selecting those who are  to be their eyes, ears and mouths, people who
will be amplifying their voices to  enhance their liberty and prosperity. I
therefore call on the people to ensure  that a one party state does not emerge in
the Gambia because of the negligence  of the electorate. In the same vein,
the electorate should not sink to  mediocrity by electing opposition members of
parliament who will be mere  spectators in the National Assembly. I call on
them to vote for any candidate in  the opposition who has the competence to
represent the people regardless of  whether they are put up as independent
candidates or candidates of the UDP  Alliance or NADD.
This is the way forward.
It is my conviction that no  National Assembly can have respect in the world
unless it has self respect. This  self respect emerges when the National
Assembly makes effort to eradicate  poverty and tyranny. A nation attains a
respectable place among the world family  of Nations if it guarantees the protection
of the fundamental rights of its  citizens and promotes the type of
development that enables them to rise above  the poverty line.
Gambians in 2007 should take charge of their destiny and  demand more for
their leaders to abide by the dictates of conscience and  National interest in
delivering services to the nation.
The vision is clear.  The mission is to make it realizable. Each of us should
take a stand. Those who  can give themselves should do so. Those who can give
cash or kind should do so.  Those who can give their votes should do so. Such
person has a role to play.  History will give its verdict. Each of us will go
to his or her grave leaving a  world that is better than what we have found
or one that is worse than what we  have found. Any generation that leaves a
world that is worse than what they have  found for future generation to inherit
would deserve to be cast into the dustbin  of history. Those who leave a better
world would forever live in the hearts and  minds of the living. Each should
take one place in history. Posterity will be  the judge.

THEY ARE STILL BEING DETAINED
By Yaya Dampha
The  following people were arrested by the security forces several months ago
and are  still being detained. They have never appeared in any of the courts
as required  by the 1997 constitution.
They are; Sergeant Buba Mendy Gambia National Army  detained in Mile Two
Prison; Sergeant Buba Jammeh of the GNA detained at Mile  Two Prison; Chief Ebrima
Manneh, a journalist whose place of detention is not  known; Baba Saho NIA;
Musa Dibba NIA; Ngorr Secka NIA, Abdoulie Kujabi Former  D.G NIA, Phoday Barry
former D.G. NIA are all detained at Mile Two; Rtd Col.  Vincent Jatta former
C.D.S, Lamin Sanneh former P.S for Works; Karamo Jaiteh  former Director of
Works are all detained at Mile Two Master Tamba Fofana of  Kudang L.B.S is said
to be detained at Sarengai Police, O/C Abdoulie Colley of  Sibanor is detained
at Mile Two Prison. Omar Ndow former MD Gamtel is detained  at Mile Two
Prison, Srurwa Jaiteh DPS Works detained at an unknown place; Dr.  Badara Loum
former PS at Agriculture at Mile Two Prison, Jasaja Kujabi of Foni,  Marcie Jammeh
Foni, Haruna Jammeh of Foni are detained at an unknown place;  Rambo Jatta,
the councilor of old Bakau is also detained.

CONSUMERS  DECRY PRICE HIKE
By Yaya Bajo
As the Muslim feast of Idul Adha, commonly  referred to as “Tobaski,” draws
nearer, business outlets around the country are  embarking on auction sale (“
Wanterr”) to maximise sales. The “Tobaski” period is  widely acclaimed to be
one of the happiest moment for Muslims regardless of ones  economic status.
The price hike in the sale of general commodities in the  local shops,
supermarkets and the market at large does not augur well with the  masses this year.
This roving reporter visited Serrekunda Market and Liberation  Avenue in
Banjul, formally Wellington Street, where street vendors displayed  their goods
for the customers to view. One Kaddy Ndow who was interviewed at  Serrekunda
Market noted that she went to the market purposely to purchase  household items
such as curtains, bed sheets and table clothes, but was shocked  to learn that
their prices are beyond her reach. She wondered why prices  mentioned by
dealers in their advertisements on radio and television did not  reflect the real
situation on the ground. She therefore urged such business  operators to be
objective and sincere in order to protect their integrity. But  for Saikou
Ceesay, a street vendor along Liberation Avenue, prices are  determined by the
forces of demand and supply, and also where the commodity is  imported from.
Sheep dealers are also accused of selling their animals at  exorbitant
prices, which are beyond the purchasing power of the common Gambian.  Dealers who
imported rams from neighbouring Senegal argue that in order for them  to
generate profit, they have to consider the cost of transport fares and other
expenditures such as duties paid to government.
Many consumers believe that  petty traders, and big-time business
interpreters should not capitalize on the  prevailing situation.

HALIFA’S CONTRIBUTION ON THE FORMER  PRESIDENT’S BILL
The Minority Leader and Member for Serrekunda Central,  Honourable Halifa
Sallah indicated that laws are not made for a particular  individual and that
serving as a representative is a service and not a  career.
His contribution runs as thus:
Honourable Speaker, I listened to  the people making comments, but what I
read in this bill is simply to create an  office. It is not about personality. It
is not particularly about a former  President or a particular individual. I
don’t know how that came into this  debate. I don’t think that laws are made
for a particular individual.  Personally, I believe serving as a representative
is a service and not a career.  What I see here is different to a certain
extent. What is in the bill is just to  create the office of former President and
that is what we should evaluate. He  indicated to the MPs that they should
evaluate whether there is need to create  an office of a former President or not.
According to him “the bill stated  very clearly that “the act shall be cited
as the former President’s Office,  allowance and other benefits.” The bill
defines former President and I think I  have a problem with such a definition
of a former president and there is the  need to give an explanation as to why
that definition is given. It states  “former president means a person who has
held the office of President of the  Republic of The Gambia for not less than
two terms.” A former President is a  former President, and it means anybody who
has held the office of President. I  don’t know why this definition. I cannot
understand that definition and that is  clause two pages 4 of the bill. The
bill goes further to show what would be  given monthly. It states under clause
4 that the monthly income of the former  president would be D50, 000. We need
to look at our country, the interpretation  of the people in general and
determine what the former president is going to do  and then determine further
whether D50, 000 (fifty thousand dalasis) is what  should be allocated to such
person. What are the real expectation that we have  of that person here?
The bill goes further to indicate that this amount is  going to come from the
national budget; that is clause 6. It states that: “the  fund required to
meet the expenditure of government under this Act shall be  provided for in the
annual budget. Halifa emphasised that the office of the  former president will
become a budgetary item. That the sum given should be in  line with the peoples
’ expectations. The benefits that are the accrue to the  former president
were elaborated as follows:
i) Personal Secretary to be  selected by the former President. Well this
seems reasonable if you are going to  maintain an office;
ii) A Personal Assistant to be selected by the former  President;
iii) Twenty-four hours security service; well that is  expected.
iv) Three motor vehicle to be maintained and fuel; well I would  want
justification why the three motor vehicle?
v) The driver shall be  selected by the former President; well that’s
reasonable.
vi) A diplomatic  passport; that’s expected.
vii) Protocol within and outside The Gambia; well  that’s reasonable if
he/she is going to maintain an office.
viii) The former  President shall take first place after the Vice President
at public functions; I  am sure it does not matter to the Vice President even
if the former President  takes second place. Really, respect should be given to
somebody who has served  this country.
ix) Free medical treatment for the former president and his or  her spouse
within and where necessary outside The Gambia upon the recommendation  of the
Director of Medical Services in the Department of State for Health and  Social
Welfare.
x) Thirty (30) working days annual vacation for the former  president and his
or her spouse within and outside The Gambia.
xi) At a  location to be selected by the former president; I would not agree
to  that.
xii) Where vacations are to be taking outside The Gambia, the  government
shall be responsible of air tickets and payment of appropriate per  diem s; well
outside vacations, I think it is appropriate to leave the former  President to
foot his/her own bill.
xiii) Office accommodation.
xiv) A  well furnished and equipped office if not more than four staff and
this includes  the Personal Assistant and the Personal Secretary.
xv) A motor vehicle to be  maintained and fueled; Halifa asked why the need
for the other three motor  vehicle?
xvi) A motor bicycle to be fueled.
xvii) That the residence of  the former President shall be provided with
telephone, internet and other  facilities; Halifa observed that the bill does not
indicate who is going to foot  the bill in terms of the telephone, and the
internet services. Is that also  going to be free of charge or is it going to be
maintained by the D50, 000 that  is going to be allocated?
xviii) Two cooks, four house keepers, two  gardeners; well these are the
things that are mentioned in the bill. The  objective of the bill seems very
clear, and that is:- the establishment of the  office of former Presidents thereby
provide for their security; demonstration of  good governance and the respect
Gambians have for their former Presidents;  creation of a conducive
environment for former President to continue to  contribute effectively to national
development. Well these are all noble goals.  However he drew the attention of the
members to the definition of the privileges  of the situation. He concluded
by asserting, “We differ in some of the  privileges that are given.”
Thank you.

RE- TREASON SUSPECT  RELEASED
Ousman Sey, a treason suspect who was incarcerated at the Maximum  Security
Wing of the Mile Two Central Prison, has been released by the  authorities.
Sey, a Koranic teacher, was arrested shortly after the alleged coup  plot led by
Colonel Ndure Cham which was purportedly quelled by soldiers loyal  to the
regime.
He testified in the treason trial involving Alieu Jobe and  said Alieu had
informed him that Colonel Ndure Cham and others wanted to  overthrow the
Government.

FOCUS ON THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY AND  ITS
RESPONSIBILITIES
On Saturday December 9, there was a very interesting  and informative
programme on GRTS initiated by Malick Jones. Halifa Sallah, the  Minority leader of
the N.A . participated in the programme and was interviewed  by Malick Jones,
as moderator.
We commend Malick Jones for this noteworthy  initiative which identified the
N.A as a fundamental arm of the government and  therefore play a significant
role in governance, as they are the law makers of  the country. They are
supposed to thoroughly scrutinize every bill which comes  to the N.A. before it is
enacted into the laws of the country.
The National  Assembly members have a tremendous responsibility of enacting
the laws of the  country and are expected to be sober, responsible, and
conscientious men and  women of integrity, discipline, commitment who put the welfare
of the country  and the electorate first and themselves last. The community,
the electorate  voted them into power and so they must be committed members of
N.A. who are  prepared to serve the people and not become their masters and
laud it over  them.
The report of the Auditor General becomes very relevant to the N.A.  This
assembly constitutes various committees who monitor and look into the  finances
of all the departments of state of the country. The estimates of the  various
departments are scrutinized page by page and item by item, as they deal  with
the finances of the country which are essential components of the country
economy.
The NA is responsible to make a thorough evaluation of all the  finances of
every department. They also have the responsibility of evaluating  the
activities of the N.A during the year and the laws which had been  promulgated within
the year.
The end of the year is a busy and important  period for the N.A. because the
budget, as presented by the SOS of Finance and  financial issues must be
examined and debated on. This is no mean task and ought  to be tackled seriously,
efficiently and diligently by every NA member. This is  where commitment and
dedication come into play and the public deserves nothing  less than these
qualities from the N.A members. They owe this much to the  public, the electorate
who voted them into power and expect them to work for the  welfare of the
community.
In conclusion often the public is not aware that  they can go the N.A member
in their area with issues relating to various  problems which may arise within
the constituency, such as the non-existence of a  cleansing service, poor
water and electricity supply, security, child abuse or  prostitution and so on.
The public ought to be able to go to their N.A member to  discuss these issues.
N.A members are expected to have consultations with the  electorate from time
to time and deal with their complaints. In this way they  will get to know
the men and women whom they have elected into power to work for  the welfare and
improvement of the community.

WORKERS’ REACTION TO  THE 2007 BUDGET
NO CONSIDERATION FOR THE HIGH COST OF  LIVING    OF GAMBIANS!!
BY Pa Momodou K.B. Faal
Over two  decades of Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP) in The Gambia did
not yield any  significant dividend.
Gambia’s Gross National Product (GNP) per head is  still below US $300; one
out of every three Gambians is absolutely poor.  Inflation is still high; our
current account deficits are widening and standards  of living for the majority
of the Gambian population is very low, even by  African standards.
As indicated earlier, the reasons for the poor results of  the Adjustment
Programme in terms of Human Development can be attributed to its  over-emphasis
on increased output. We did not dispute the need for economic  growth as one of
the key conditions for high standards of living. We accept the  fact that
capital formulation and wealth creation are the bedrock of economic,  social,
political and cultural development. What has been tested and proven to  be untrue
is the “trickle down” theory with its naïve assumption that the  benefits of
economic growth will automatically trickle down from those who are  active
participants in the economic processes to the poor, the under privileged,  the
aged, the vulnerable and people with disabilities. As pointed out earlier,  we
are not only interested in increased output (increase in GDP per capita), per
se but, we are, as Organised Labour equality concerned about the process of
achieving the increased output and the proportion of the population who have
the  opportunity to better their own lives and the lives of other people, in
the  process of contributing to the increased output. For instance, increased
output,  obtained from “sweat Shops” and under inhuman working conditions is
not  acceptable to us, “Organised Labour.” By the same token, we do not accept
increased output if the activities that yield the output pollute our air and
source of water or depletes our forest and natural vegetation or threaten the
 very lives we seek to protect through economic growth. The process can duly
be  sustainable only if it provides opportunities for the expansion of peoples’
  capabilities to contribute meaningfully to the process and at the same time
 ensure clean environment.
Ø          Ensure a clean and  safe national habitat for the entire
population;
Ø          Reduce  the debt burden;
Ø           Promote economic independence;  and
Ø          Promote efficient  use and allocation of human and natural
resources.
In particular, we shall  support all macro-economic policies that aim at
controlling inflation,  stabilizing the value of our national currency,
maintaining interest rates at  levels that encourage investment particularly in the
agricultural sector which  provides employment and income for over 75% of the
population, food security for  the entire nation and, ultimately, guarantees
economic growth, prosperity and  satisfying lives for the majority of Gambians.

Recommended  Strategies For Achieving Economic Growth And High Standard Of
Living
As a  means of achieving high and sustainable growth and high standard of
living for  the Gambian people, the GWC recommended the following:
Ø          Involving all  stakeholders in the economic decision making
process both at the national and  enterprise levels. It is by this environmentally
friendly and particular growth  process that we can ensure a fair distribution
of the accrued benefits without  having to adopt cohesive measures to
redistribute the benefits since every-body  in the country would increase output, be
they women, men, disabled or aged.
As the saying goes (you cannot make lasting wealth without workers; you
cannot make democracy without free trade unions.)
We shall therefore promote,  support and, in appropriate circumstances,
initiate efforts and policies that  are geared towards sustainable creation of
wealth, provided that such  policies:-
Ø          Offer  equal opportunities for every citizen (men and women) to
participate in the  wealth creation process (through the generation of
productive and decent jobs)  in a humane working environment where workers and trade
union rights are  respected.
Ø          Lead to  adequate incomes that are equitably distributed through
equitable and efficient  tax system.

Ø          Increase  productivity through the creation of humane working
conditions particularly with  regard to payment systems, income levels, fair
income distribution, occupational  health and safety as well as compensation for
injury.
Ø          Encouraging  Employees Share Ownership Plans (ESCOPS) to ensure
loyalty of workers to their  companies.
Ø          Reduce  mass retrenchment of workers especially civil servants in
the absence of  representation to be  defended.
Ø          Develop  skills of both the workforce and potential workforce (The
youth or young  workers).
Ø          Create  special opportunities for groups (women, youth, physically
and mentally  handicapped, etc) and individuals if necessary to enable them
contribute  meaningfully to the economic development process.
Ø          Avoid privatization  of state-owned enterprises based on
ideological  considerations;
Ø           Promote workers management buy-outs as a means of stable and
sustainable  investment in the country with financial and technical support to
local   enterprises;
Ø           Increasing government expenditure or social and economic
infrastructure agreed  as priorities by all stakeholders in the economy to facilitate
private  investment.
Ø          Regional  economic integration (monetary union, free trade area
and Pan Africanism in all  spheres of our economic, social and political lives
as African  people).
Ø          Encourage  and support freedom of association (including trade
unions and employers’  organisations) and promoting social dialogue (Tripartism)
and (bipartism)  through legislation and  institutionalization.
Ø           Increase budget allocation for agricultural sector (the backbone
of the economy)  in the form of subsidies, loans and grants to individual
farmers and  corporations; and investment in facilities that will ensure national
food  security and decent incomes for farmers who are in the  majority;
Ø          Development  of efficient and effective financial intermediation
(banking insurance, stock  markets etc);
Ø          Avoid  diverting utilities based on profit and other financial
considerations but  encourage provisions of utilities by private companies to
supplement the  existing public ones e.g. ‘NAWEC’ and  to
Ø          Create a national  employment policy with standards.

NAYCONF 2006 RESOLUTIONS AND  RECOMMENDATIOS

By Modou Jonga
Continuation
RESSLUTION ON  YOUTHS AND MIGRATION
The participants have called on youths to:
Create  awareness within communities
Peer education Initiative
Encourage family  dialogue
Network with civil society and government to build their capacities  on
negotiation, lobbying and advocacy skills
Monitor the implementation of  the AU/EU joint declaration on migration
Urge the Government of the Gambia:  on the same resolution to
Establish skills centres in rural areas
Ensure  the involvement of youths in all agreements affecting youths
Advocate for  decentralisation of social amenities;
Revitalise public corporations such as  The Gambia Produce Marketing Board
(GPMB) to create more job  opportunities.
Improve the agricultural sector.
Create family support  structures through micro credit project.
Provide community development  initiatives.
Strengthen adult literacy initiatives.
Review employment  polices, and legislations.
Increase incentives to reduce brain  drain.
Lobby for compensation for the human resource in foreign countries,  where
its trained citizens are productive in receiving countries.
Review  Immigration Visa Laws.
Review the MOU between the Government of The Gambia  and the Spanish
Government in consultation with youths.
Review the  educational policy to meet the market demands.
RESOLUTION ON THE NATIONAL  YOUTH POLICY AND THE NATIONAL ACT
This resolution endorsed by all  participants call on youths to:
Increase sensitization on the National Youth  Policy and Act
Organize pre-policy review senistisation programme on the  National Youth
Policy and Act.
Task the National Youth Council to ensure that  all regions are represented
in the National Organising Committee of  NAYCONF.
Task the National Youth Council to ensure that the review of the  policy
reflects among others, the international standard for the youth age  bracket
(15-35); establishment of technical committees; the need to elect the  Executive
Secretary, Chairperson and Female Representative of the National Youth  Council.
Dissolution of the youth council need to be reviewed and entrusted  to the
parliament rather than the secretary of state; to include the issue of  risky
migration as one of the key issues addressed
Inclusion of disabled  people in the youth council in the youth Act and thus
ensure that the Act also  cover district youth committees and village youth
policy for greater grass-roots  participation.
Task the National Youth Council to ensure that the youth age  bracket is
respected at all levels.
Establish a lobby group to monitor  progress of the resolutions and
recommendations passed at NAYCONF.
Task the  National Youth council to submit regular annual reports to young
people through  the divisional councils.
To send regular reports of activities of  NAYCONF.
Recruit more quality staff to the youth council.
Ensure regular  and timely payment of annual subscriptions.
On the same resolutions the  conference participants urged the Government of
The Gambia to:
Prepare  comprehensive review of the National Youth Policy on or before April
2007 in  consultation with youths.
Make a specific budget for NAYCONF.
Increase the  national budget for the National Youth Councils.
Dedicate a specific  permanent secretary for youth matters only.
Implement the National Youth  Policy.
Ensuring that all youth organisations register through the National  Youth
Council rather than the Attorney General’s Chambers.
Ensure that the  Secretary of state for youths and sports is more involved in
all youth  activities, especially NAYCONF.
RESOLUTIONS ON SEXUAL REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH  INCLUDING HIV/AIDS
On these resolutions, conference participants called on  youths to :
Encourage delayed sex initiation.
Prioritise condom  distribution.
Sensitise on HIV/AIDS especially by breaking the culture of  silence.
Participants also urged the Government of The Gambia  to:
Establish youth friendly centres all over the country to provide youth
friendly services including counselling.
Ensure accessibility and  confidentiality of voluntary counseling and testing.
Provide health services  for youths living with HIV/AIDS.
Translate IEC materials on HIV/AIDS into  various local languages.
Allocate a specific Day for family sensitisation on  HIV/AIDS.
RESOLUTIONS ON SEXUAL AND REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH
Call on youths  to;
Building strong partnership with the GTA
Revitalize youth counselling  on HIV/AIDS, reproductive health, early or
unwanted pregnancy and so on.
On  the same resolution, the participants urged the Government of The Gambia
to:
Institute functional youth friendly information and service outlets for
youths.
Formulate strong and well defined policies on adolescent/youth sexual  and
reproductive health.
The recommendations of the National Youth Conference  are as follow as;
Mainstreaming youth as equal partners in decision  making.
Mainstreaming gender in all key adolescent /youth initiatives and  policies.
Strong and supportive partnership at regional and national level  programmes.
Focusing on the process and not only the outcome.
Shifting the  focus from morality to social justice.
Address violence and coercion and  restriction of choices of young people.
Encourage young people to demand  their rights.
Incorporate communication and behavior change interventions  that encourage
equitable partnerships.
Make programs accountable when rights  are violated.
The above mentioned resolutions and recommendations were done  in Brikama
22nd December (the host of NAYCONF) 2006. The call for the adoption  of the saved
resolutions and recommendation was motioned by Binta K. Cham, a  participant
from the Western Region, and was thus seconded by Kawsu Badjie, a  participant
form the Kanifing Municipal