GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 2005 13:03:22 -0800
                        EDITORIAL

We are back in business. My computer was grounded by Jammeh's "Jalang."
Just kidding here....Just imagine a  world without an internet. What will
happened?  I had to call my computer expert to help address this serious
state of affairs. My former  class mate  Bunja, one of my loyal readers
was also equally concerned about my absence on the news stance. Hear
Bunja,  in this piece sent to The MIGHTY GAMBIA POST "Is P.M'bai around?
His news is not sighted for sometime. Boy, come out and do your thing. May
be he might have  TABAKONKORONG SCAM in his computer. Or  is he is on
French leave ? Am joking with you. We miss you so much. P. M'bai,  your
job in the post cannot be measured. I'm  calling for your quick return and
serve us. I hope you are fine. Allah akbarr. Thanks for your steadfastness
and balance descriptive electronic news. Speaking my mine. I remain,
Bunja."

Bunja, thanks for the complements.  You were partly right when you said my
computer was faulty. Thanks to a colleague, my computer is connected back.
My apologies to our esteemed readers for such a media black out. It was
not intentional at all.  We  will continue to provide you with the usual
breaking news  stories about Gambian related news and elsewhere on the
continent.  Despite our busy schedules, we will continue to keep The
ALLGAMBIAN going.  We appreciate the support and encouragement we received
from our readers, without some of whom,  we will not reach to this stage
today.

As we piece this editorial together, we are challenging the government of
Yahya Jammeh to throw some light on this alleged coup story we ran today.
We know that this government is in the business of detaining people in the
name of national security. As a media organisation, we have no
alternative, but to publish such a story. We have no malicious intent to
run such a story. Samba Bah's detention is surrounded with a lot of
speculations and rumours. If  the government is not keen at discussing why
Bah was detained, we at The ALLGAMBIAN will not hesitate to report news
items we received.

The system is eating each other. This is a government formed on the
pretext of "Jangfa" or betrayal if you like.  Yahya  will sacrifice  all
those he used or abused before facing the musical chair.  Yahya's attempt
to disown his former errand boys is typical of African dictators.
Dictators don't have friends. They believe in permanent interest and not
permanent friend. Who on earth expected that Samba Bah, 13 Badjie,
Abdoulie Kujabi, Foday Barry, Momodou Badjie, Ousman Badjie, Lang Conteh,
Baba Jobe or "bourr Jobe", the list goes on  will be subjected to such
degrading treatment by Jammeh? How about his former loyal aides such
Almamo Manneh, Corporal Dumbuya, Barrow  and other soldiers who were
executed in grand style.

It is time for Gambians and members of the various security units in The
Gambia to be cautious about the way and manner they relate with Jammeh. If
Samba Bah can be jailed by Yahaya,  no Gambian is safe. What is the point
of aiding and abetting a dictator who will end up  disgracing you? Does it
worth it after all? Gambia's interest overrides the interest of Jammeh.
Please take note of this.

The said people we mentioned have one way or the order served Jammeh and
were one time in his good books. What happened to Samba Bah could happen
to anybody in Yahya's government. It is time for those serving Yahya-be it
the military, the police, the NIA and our so called bureaucrats to start
asking themselves the question as to whether the current governance trend
is in the interest of The Gambia and her people. Why supporting  a
"Jangfa" leadership?

The interesting  thing is that some of these people being brutalised by
Yahya today, might  likely be held responsible for their past deeds by any
future government.  We don't expect any future government to embark on
witch hunting exercise, but the reality is that some of the crimes
attributed to some of Yahya's errand boys cannot go uninvestigated.
Without an  independent and impartial enquiry the truth will not be known.
It is imperative therefore, for those serving Yahya today to know that
this government will one day come to an end.  Let justice guide your
actions.

The rule of law should be observed in The Gambia. Detaining people for
more than 72 hours,  without trial is not only illegal, but
unconstitutional.  This is a government, which used to detain journalists,
politicians and human right activists for days and weeks  without trial,
is today resorting to the same undemocratic and unconstitutional moves
against  its own former allies and supporters. As indicated earlier,
Samba, Baba, Lang, 13 Badjie and others experiences with Yahya should
serve as an opener for those state guards and NIA officers executing
Jammeh's dirty errands. The Gambia is ours and we should  not allow one
selfish person like Yahya Jammeh to separate us.

From day one, we knew that Yahya was going to sacrifice all those behind
his so called revolution.  What happened to Edward Singhateh, the main man
behind the July 22ND coup? Singhateh is today reduced to a stranger in
Jammeh's cabinet, even though he paved the way for Yahya to be what he is
today.

Singhateh is  a minister without portfolio as the  likes of Neneh, Jali
Touray and co  have hijacked his responsibilities or close ties with
Jammeh. One good thing is that Sinhateh is still surviving the
dictatorship. His former council members,  such as rude boy Sabally,  and
the late Hydara are gone,  while he is still with Yahya. Edward never
dreamt that Yahya will one day sidelined him like this. This was the man
who named Yahya as the AFPRC interim Chairman with the support of his
colleagues Sabally and Hydara. Today Edward is facing Jammeh's "Jangfa."
It is a question of when  will Jammeh discard him.  We do know that he had
brother in the army and as such Jammeh is finding it difficult to discard
Edu  for security reasons.  A government formed in "Jangfa" will end in
"Jangfa."   Happy "Koriteh" prayers to Gambians.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい