GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamadi Banna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:47:53 GMT
Mr. Ceesay,

Some of the issues you raised in your letter are quite pertinent. However, I
would like to draw your attention to a few points, which in my opinion
should have been carefully examined before mentioned in your letter.

You said:

"For almost 30 years the country enjoyed continued peace and tranquility,
respect for the rule of law and human rights. We enjoyed extremely good
neighborliness and friendship unsurpassed anywhere in Africa."

I beg to differ. Let's look back briefly at the Jawara era. I know most of
us on this forum would remember the frequent arrests and detention of
journalists, Dixon Colley, D.A. Jawo, Sana Manneh, etc. for expressing views
critical of the PPP government or the torture and summary execution of some
1981 putschists and innocent civilians. I hope we will not forget the arrest
and torture of MOJA-G members and the summary and humiliating transfers of
government employees who supported opposition parties especially the NCP. I
just hope we will not forget the students who were denied a government
scholarship in favor of those whose parents were PPP big wigs and other
government cronies. Let's not forget also the countless number of rural
women who died from labor pangs on a donkey cart while on their way to a
hospital, maybe some fifty miles away, etc., etc., etc.

You also said:

"Unfortunately, the escalation of the conflict in Casamance is a direct
results of Yaya’s blanket support for the rebels in Casamance.Unless your
government ignores Yaya’s action in Casamance, there is ample evidence to
show his personal involvement in fanning that conflict. Some independent
journalists and reputable papers have proven the fact that some wounded
Casamance rebels are being treated at local
Gambian hospitals and clinics. Yaya is training the MFDC rebels at Dobong
and Kanilai, not only for the Casamance insurgency but also for his personal
protection in the event of an attack. We had furnished
detailed information about Yaya’s arms supply to Casamance rebels to your
predecessor. Unfortunately, He did not seem to care much, which has actually
prolonged the conflict."

Is this an attempt to pit Wade's government against that of Yahya Jammeh? I
don't think it is wise to incite Wade's anger in this way against the
APRC-led government as any subsequent armed conflict between the brotherly
nations will have devastating consequences. Remember, The Gambia has for a
long time been considered a thorn in Senegal's flesh. Observers would tell
you that The Gambia's existence as a separate political entity within
Senegal's has always been a major headache for our Francophone brothers. The
crude attempt to confederate the two countries in the aftermath of the 1981
abortive coup drove a wider wedge between their respective political
classes.  When Abdou Diouf, on a morning of 1989? said "doyna sėk" and
unilaterally declared an end to the Senegambia Confederation, those of us
who were living in Senegal at the time bowed our heads in shame. Is this the
way that a marriage should end, "doyna sėk"?

The trans-border trade was immediately suspended by Senegal. Travelers from
both sides of the border were subjected to humiliating searches and
sometimes brief detention by Senegalese border guards and customs officials.
The Senegalese "duane"/custom officials have seized even Chinese Green Tea
and bedroom slippers from travelers. My new leather coat was stripped from
my back because, as the Senegalese custom officials said, "I bought it in
The Gambia?" That's funny! Many other Senegalese and Gambians have had their
"yobal"/gifts seized at Senegalese customs posts. I know Gambian custom
officials have treated Senegalese in a similar fashion. Is this the type of
unity that our people were promised at the ECOWAS and OAU?

Mr. Ceesay, in our strive to remove Yayha from power, I think we should
avoid juxtaposing two equally corrupt and irresponsible governments: PPP and
APRC. Even if we do, we should do so with sincerity. It is my opinion that
we should call international attention to our plight without necessarily
putting the lives of Gambians at risk by inviting the wrath and possible
military intervention of a foreign government.

Just a thought.

Hamadi.