GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:51:12 -0400
Joe:

This is frightening and it should be condemned.  I hope Buya succeeds.

There is one thing that is frustrating me.  A while back you published a tentative meeting on a coalition summit.  I have not heard anything in the works.  Can you please let us know whether this will take place?

I hope I am wrong, but I sense division and mistrust.  We cannot succeed if we are unwilling to accept opinions from others.   I fully agree and advocate that the oppsiiton coalition has to be inclusive.  We cannot afford miscommunicating our efforts.   This should be a collective effort on our part.

People will not be willing to contribute for the opposition if they are not given the opportunity to agree and disagree.  Many have stated to me that they are unwilling to contribute because they sense a feeling that only a selected few is involved in making decisions.  If this is true, it will be the biggest blunder on our part.  If we seek democracy in the Gambia, we must seek democracy in formulating a coalition.  This effort should not be done by a few.

I have identified almost 20 Gambians in Raleigh who are willing to contribute locally, but are unwilling to contribute centrally.  They want to be heard and also meet with the oppostion upon their visits to the U.S.  We hope we can help.

We do not also support the idea of putting any member visiting the U.S. in a hotel.  We feel that since we are scarce of cash, we will be wasting needed money by paying hotel bills for our visitors.  We advocate that those visiting stay with Gambians and get to know them.

Naphiyo,
Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh