GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 02:04:29 +0200

"You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom."- Malcom X

Ms Davie called on Parliament to "keep Uganda in mind as we think about a new role for the UN".

In a powerful speech on September 11 to mark the second anniversary of the New York bombing, a British Member of Parliament (MP) for Bristol West, Valerie Davie spoke of the situation facing the people of northern Uganda and  said "all these sufferings have been happening in a country that we are all acclaiming as having met the HIPC (heavily indebted poor countries) regulations

It is one of the countries that is doing better and that we highlight as developing, and I am sure that my honourable friend, the Minister would suggest that it is one of those moving forward to democracy. Yet communities in the north of Uganda have been suffering terribly for 17 years.

"You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom."- Malcom X