GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Last-Card <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 11:16:43 -0700
Look at the following excerpt from one of the sites I read to see the reason behind my contribution on this topic...

"Even if the show will not exhibit people in cages like animals, but as artisans, silversmiths, basket makers and traditional hairdressers in a village, there are some implications with this idea. First of all the historical dimension, as the infamous "V闤kerschauen" from the german zoo hagenbeck led to the death of many people, caused by malnutrition, bad living conditons and diseases. Second - and this didn't change since Hagenbeck - the displacement of humans in the realm of animals in an atmosphere of exotism and as part of the nature they are living in...."

After visiting the sites where the info has been provided( ie to explain the reasons behind the exhitions or "shows") at the zoo, in my mind it is  almost obvious that those who planned it, did so for ECONOMIC reasons.If the organisers are attempting to lean on historical or scienctific reasons then science(social/physical) has once again been stabbed on its neck.These so-called scienctists are the very ones who sold false statements against the mental capacity of Africans in certain fields.Some of the so-called findings of Pasteur (French) and others leaves much to be desired as far as "tagging" Africans is concerned.These so-called scienctific displays(like the one to be in the German zoo) tend to lean more on cooked "High IQs" than what has been obtained from the basic principle,which is science's own coat as a "being".  Ie:-observation and derivation of facts.   As a "being" science is always and  constantly attempting to mingle with seen and  unseen  structures.
Such attempts are some times successful but some times corrupted by egos, cultural dimensions, preachers,egocentric representatives of religions and greed for those who worship wealth (Money,natural resources etc).These bad cards exist in Africa itself.So those Africans being used in the zoo,might have been lured by so-called African scholars with a pile of falsified-sciencitific justifications.
Are all scienctists right or genuine? There cannot be an absolute yes or no because they are human,every humanbeing makes mistakes.Indeed being a scienctist is an outcome of hard work,such an outcome should not be used to mislead society or favour races,groups or desires.
After browsing  through the sites and then seeing words like "exotic" etc etc I started asking myself the following questions...
Why didn't these German zoologists invite the Australian aborigins? The Gulla people in South Caroilna?  The latter orginated from West Africa but have now added more on their historical slate.Why didn't they invite people from Tibet(the monks etc)? Why didn't they invite a larger perspective from UNESCO, so on and so forth? Why didn't they invite the Asian Indians(many of them worship cows)? Why didn't they invite the American Indians(they have so much to offer if the reason is historical etc).How about the Chinese?(they have 5000 years of civilisation to offer!).How about the Eskimos with their skins and Igloos? The world's hidden spots have been revealed by travelers,oceanographers,anthropologist to an extend that no serious person will ever listen to these tales anymore.The word EXOTIC has been hijacked by money-making agents trying to lure Tourists.Almost every website selling hotels/safari trips uses it to twist the "taste buds" of tourists searching for resorts and so on.It is
 a good word that has been produced by serious scienctists therefore make no mistake by shunning it because of money-making websites either.My point is geared towards respecting the basic principle Ie let science be used to help growth but not to tag people or corrupt our archives and libraries then paste an ever lasting false image on our decent cultures or people for Economic reasons.
Did these German scienctists teach Adulf Hitler? Because he refused to shake the hands of an African-American athlete.In Hitler's mind that athlete should have been in the zoo right?

Thank you for sending in this thought-provoking and rare topic.