GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 02:15:28 EST
Matarr,
Thanks for your posting.  The points you laid forth were well thought out and
easy to digest.  Though some of these points are some of the steps that any
African president should follow for a successful tenure in office, not
everyone is capable of abiding by these rules.

Let's be honest here.  There have been very few young leaders in history that
have been able to handle all the responsibilities that come with the position
of leadership in a responsible manner.  Aside from historical figures like
Patrice Lumumba, Thomas Sankara or Alexander The Great himself, the tenures
of very young leaders have always been very far from impressive.  In West
Africa, young so-called presidents like Justine Strasser have led their
countries straight down the path to destruction, and our president seems to
be justifying this stereotype.

To be a leader, one has to be a person of integrity, honor and the utmost
discipline.  One that, as well as having a solid education, has seen first
hand what humanity is truly about.  Though there are a few exceptions to the
rule, in the absence of age and/or experience, one cannot have these
qualities.  Therefore, it is safe to say that, unless Yahya Jammeh is truly
special, he lacks the qualities and attributes it takes to be the president
of The Gambia.

Power is the greatest intoxicant in the world, and it is common for leaders,
especially young inexperienced ones, to be drunk with this.  They are unable
to see straight or think clearly once intoxicated.  Hopefully, our president
will heed the advice of well meaning Gambians, like Dr. Saine and yourself,
and at least listen to some of the concerns of our people before it is too
late.

Yus