GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mr Makaveli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 06:11:47 -0500
Mr Camara,
 We both have our differences as to how you people manage this forum, but
I've nonetheless always regarded you as one of the most 'competent' List
Managers in your lot. Like many of us left out on a limb , I find nothing
titillating about Malanding Jaiteh's refusal to expound on the new
measures as it staggered in Yus' unprecedented and rather reactionary
expulsion from the Gambia-L. Apparently, you people precociously have had
enough of it and decided to throw the kitchen sink.

The reactionay and undisclosed nature of your verdict may prompt some to
label you people recalcitrant , but astute observers such as myself would
probably suggest that you guys also consider enrolling in an Anger
Management class. In a study of people with chest pain, people who
harbored feelings of anger were four times more likely to have unhealthy
cholesterol values. Holding on to angry feelings takes not only an
emotional toll on your heart, but it may take a physical toll on it, as
well.

This cautionary anecdote may represent an early, pre-psychological way of
understanding the fallible side of human nature and that we all have
experienced rage and often times don't foresee the gravity of some of
things we might have said in the heat of the moment, by which time the
damage has already been siad and sone. But is't that what makes us human?
Yus reaction might have a result of anger and your delisting him might
also be a result of anger, in which both cases need to be reconsidered and
given a mutual understanding.

I know part of your job involves monitoring what we post to the list and
since we don't know who monitors the monitors of the monitors, it will be
fair to all and sundry to lay all the cards on the deck. In short we, list
members, need to know the whole enchilada in this case and any undertaking
that might happened behind closed doors. Or is that too much to ask? There
are very serious allegations out there that Tombong and Jaiteh are the
best of pals and might be exchanging eachother favours. We, list members,
are doing our own investigations into that and will provide the evidence
when the time arrives.

But in the meantime, I'm appealing that you guys reconsider your draconian
new measures as it applies to Yus case and help us understand your
unreserved stance as it relates to this matter so we can atleast know how
to abide by these vagrant laws. Yus, as many have already lamented, has
been in the fore front of many enlightening discussions on this list for a
very long time without showing any disrespect to list members despite the
divergence of opinions. Although, some of us regrettably wished that his
posting was never sensationalized the way Tombong did, which unfortunately
led to your rather reactionary and very overtly vituperative decision,
banning this brother without any explanation thus far.

Yus' gut-wrenching hmour was semantically distorted by Tombong and mis-
understood by many but that simply doesn’t warrant you people to ostracize
the brother and ban him good jsut because a so-calleddignatary said do it
or else...-- See, we don't know what transpired after Tombong talked to
Jaiteh but what is evident is Yus got delisted instantly. I remember back
then when I was in similar predicament and soon as Tombong called Jaiteh
my membership got revoked. Why is tombong getting special treatment?

We in the opposition(The Defense) believe Yus is human and like all of us
does err every once a while. Let us not blow things out of proportion and
take away anything from him. After the explanations that followed, it
should now be clear to all that Yus had no intentions to offend anyone.
As I’ve argued in a previous posting, to do justice to Yus, one has to
considering the fact that he didn't create the heated atmosphere that many found ourselves in.

The draconian and oppressive nature of our diabolic and despotic
government could very easily make a Rabbi lose his temper and says things
that you wouldn't say had these morons never laid a finger on our children
let alone assasinate them, children as young as THREE years old. When one
considers the frustration for some of us who are mentally dismembered by these incessant atrocities, you have to understand that emotions are bound
to run high in a setting like Gambia-L( where we have the opportunity to
tell the culprits our share of grievances , especially for those who fell
victim of our government's Neanderthaloid terrorism one form or the other.

Banning such victims without any justications from this battlefield(yes it's War here for those grieving families) and putting them in the same
predicament as that of the oppressor is just not going to boost the List's
credibility. In a forum where the overwhelming majority are speaking out
daily to free Dumo et al, I find it rather ironic that, that same forum is
in contempt with trying to incarcerate some it's most ardent and loyal
members,putting them incommunicado and giving them persona non-grata status
All that to try to please Tombong, or is there more the story? Help me out.

We don’t want to accuse all the list managers of harbouring perceived
societal injustices and having multiple personality to say the least but I
often stop and scratch my head wondering why Jaiteh and Co. have this
insatiable urge of appeasing Tombong and also wondered what splendor it
brings him delisting people like poor Bro Yus . Where does this urge come
from, and why is so powerful to him? If we all experienced this urge,
would we be able to resist?

As for the charges levelled against Yus, I can’t say they are ridiculous
and baseless because I honestly regretted that this incident never happened
but I think Beran Jeng has a point when he wrote, and I quote “ The
delisting of Yus is unjustified. After having revisited his posting , I
realize that it is subject to interpretation. An "INFLAME NUT" could be
any nut for that matter.Regarding "PRE-FAJAR" activity can be any activity
before 'fajar'. In my opinion , the list managers are indeed appeasing
people who does not deserve to be appeased. I therefore request that Yus
be re-enlisted immediately”.

See, now this cannot be further from the truth. Yus has posted over 500
times on this list and additionally, he has been one of the most active
members on the list. To judge him fairly, one has to view the OVERALL
PICTURE, and not allow emotions cloud their judgement. All that does is
invigorates the same dictatorship mentally that is the impediment of
everything we stood for. That said, I remain confident that you (competent
list managers) will review Yus expulsion, cut the brother some slack and
get to ALL list members with more tangible explanation. Just remember,
without ‘contributing’  members, there is NO List, period. I thank you
for your time and may God help us all.

                                                   Mr Makaveli.

Gambians Online " Designed With The Gambian People In Mind"
               http://www.gambiansonline.com