GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Matarr Sajaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:19:00 EST
  My Fellow Gambians, as we look towards the 2001 elections, there is a need
to examine exhaustively what is it that we envisage for the Gambia and her
people. At the present, the political parties are geared to contest the
elections, and most people or the parties themselves, are not clear about
what it is that they want to change.

With the exception of PDOIS, who made their position very clear, that they
are not interested in governing a people who are yet to be awakened, to the
importance of being the custodian of their destiny, and the defenders of the
power that they ultimately control, the other political parties have this
vision to change, without establishing the basis of what it is that they want
to change, or how to bring it about.

The political events, that have shaped the course of our history over the
past years, has brought both optimism in the political awakening of the
Gambian masses, and skepticism over the period and method it will take to
radically change our socioeconomic and political environment.

From the first republic to the second republic, it has become increasingly
apparent that what Gambia needs is not cosmetic changes; the country needs
real, fundamental and structural changes that will affect the scope, process
and institutional framework, upon which an efficient and incorruptible
government machinery is built. The country also needs a systematic, objective
and grounded approach to address the fundamental needs of the people; it
needs a strong, solid and viable democratic mechanism, in which power is
structured to belong to the people. striving for change, or just to change a
government for change's sake, does not solve the endemic problems that are
core to our development and aspirations.

Now that we all recognize the fact that politics is about interest, an
interest that is embedded in the divergent views and loyalties that we
represent, our pursuit of a common objective and good, should begin at the
place where we all owe our undivided allegiance to, and that is our
constitution. It is the instrument through which we have all subjugated our
rights, interests and freedoms, and which consequently shape the outcome of
our political deliberations and struggles.

It is therefore not an accident that constitutions, as a legitimate basis for
power, are often corrupted, manipulated, and used unfairly to control and
enhance a democratic process, that favors one interest group politically at
the expense of another interest group politically. Thus the composition and
the make up of a body that formulates constitutional provisions, is
fundamental in the making of a genuine democratic and constitutional
establishment. Our approach to politics, either individually or in groups, is
either interest-driven or selflessly motivated to serve a common good. This
is where we identify ourselves or each other. This is also where our struggle
begins.

It is thus, hereby suggested, that all patriotic minded Gambians, who
sincerely, or genuinely and selflessly want to serve their country, can make
the commitment if they could, to stand for elections in the Gambia through an
independent coalition, established and finance by a group that may emerge
from this medium, called Gambia L; this independent coalition, may be
supported by all the other established groups that are inclined to be
participants in this endeavor.

All efforts will be made if this coalition is formed, and individuals are
identified or who identify themselves to take up this challenge, that the
coalition will sponsor their candidacy and help them get elected to our
national assembly. the coalition will forge alliance with other political
parties, the labor movement, the press media, student organizations,
grass-root organizations, professionals and civic organizations, to
completely change the whole election dynamics, and thereby set the path for
real changes that will consequently follow.

Those of us in the Diaspora and in the Gambia, with the knowledge,
commitment, sincerity and principled in character to make a difference, and
who are willing to stand for parliamentary elections, may commit themselves
to this coalition if formed, to support and sponsor their candidacy, with the
express purpose of winning the parliamentary elections and take over control
of the parliament, thereby constituting the representative body that will
change our constitution and put the future of our country on track.

My fellow Gambians, this is the agenda. The debate is open. Lets make this
coalition a reality. Let us make a difference.
The future of the Gambia may well rest in the decisions we make for this
coalition. The year of agonizing over ideology is over. The Gambia needs a
leadership that fulfill the rights to education, health, good human
habitation, good nutrition, the opportunity for liberty and the pursuit of
happiness.

Keep pressing on.
Freedom is not free Neither is failure.

Thank You.
Matarr Sajaw.

NB: Character of Coalition
a) Membership: manner for registration of all members.
b) Governing body; executive body who shape direction, agenda and contacts
c) National body; execute goals, runs national offices, organize meetings,
prepare candidate profiles, schedules