GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:42:08 -0400
George, thanks for your contributions. I especially want to touch on the
issue about the elections fundraising drive you mentioned in your piece. I
know you do not mean to question the integrity of the people leading this
noble endeavor, but you raised a very valid point; a point that several
people have raised with me privately.

It was because of that cynicism that I also raised the issue earlier on.
There are people like myself that believe that we need to put the coalition
together before we embark on the issue of funding. I agree with you that
people will perhaps be more eager to donate if they had confidence that the
Opposition parties are willing to come together to form a coalition for the
purpose of contesting the October Elections.

In that vein, it is important that the Opposition parties come together and
start liaising with organizations in the Diaspora that are willing to raise
funds for them. We do not have a lot of time in our hands. I will again
reiterate my appeal to the Movements both in New York and in London to
redouble efforts to bring the Opposition together and also to liaise with
organizations like the one in Chicago to pool all the funds in one basket.
With that purse, we (in the Diaspora) will be in a better position to talk
to the Opposition back home.

Again, this is not a knock on the people in Chicago who I think are doing a
magnificent job. I just feel that it is important that all the organizations
in the Diaspora pool together and ensure forthwith that there is a United
Opposition before engaging in an aggressive fundraising drive. Most people
are reluctant to contribute because they do not know where their money is
going. It is important that the Opposition come together before we part with
our money.
KB