GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bakary Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 20:57:35 +0100
Dear Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh,

The priority of all truly patriotic Gambians at this crucial point in our
nation's history is to unite towards getting rid of the Jammeh Dictatorship
rather than to rip open wounds of the pre-1994 era. Indeed, the bloody 1981
attempted revolution and its immediate aftermath was a very sad and
regretable episode in our history during which human rights violations were
committed by all sides of the conflict.However, should one place the ordeal
and sufferation faced by Gambians as a result of those fateful events in its
true perspective; it would be evident that the bloodshed,lawlessness and
chaos that ensued prior to the intervention of the Senegalese forces was
first perpetrated by Kukoi and other anti-PPP elements, either deliberately
or through default of proper planning and execution of the attempted 1981
revolution.It was an armed civil conflict brought upon the Gambia by Kukoi
Samba Sanyang: an ex-NCP parliamentary candidate and therefore when the
attempted dictatorship failed,some members of the come-back PPP regime
orchestrasted unjustifiable acts  of atrocities against some NCP militants
and others who were percieved as supporters of the attemtpted revolution.But
for the direct intervention of Sir Dawda, (of whom i am no admirer but even
the devil deserves his due)the politics of retribution that some members of
the PPP wanted to bear upon their political opponents would have been
worst.Sir Dawda always advocated for the due process of law to brought upon
all such people which unfortunately was not always heeded by his supporters.
Had Yahya been in a similar situation, he would have ordered extra-judicial
killings and secret night burials as he did during November 11, 1994 or even
ordered a broad daylght massacre as happen to the students on April 10 & 11,
2000.
As a member of the NCP pre-1994, i fervently belief that Jawara failed the
Gambian masses but also held the view that so did SM Dibba in July
1994 when he embark upon his self-imposed exile from politics and abandon
the masses to the 'unknown' during those days when he was needed most. At
least when members of Foroyya stood up for their rights and in effect for
the genaral right to expression of opinion, he should not have labelled them
as 'agent provocateurs'.However, when he did, many others like myself gave
up on SM as a person capable of providing the leadership that the Gambia
craves for.We want leaders like Mandela, who would not let down the people
but SM did! for whatever flimsy reasons and i am of the opinion that he just
lacks the
courage to take on Jammeh and his gun-tottling hoodlums.
On the other hand, Lawyer Ousainou Darboe and members of the UDP leadership
has demonstrated that even at the expense of their lives, they are ready to
moblise Gambians against the dictatorship.They have faced unlawful
incacerations, torture, assasination attempts,and all sorts of trials and
tribulations but have not relented to injustice.
I thought this was also like SM but how wrong he proved himself to be.
Therefore compatriots, let us all rally behind the genuine opposition
coalition to free the Gambia from tyranny.We should all learn from the
past but always remember that the Gambia should come first.
THE YOKE OF OPPPRESSION MUST BE SHATTERED! come October.

BMK