GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 16:49:29 +0100
Mariama

Thanks for your wishful thinking. Unfortunately, the
news we are receiving from home does n't look for a
United Opposition. It has been reported in the press
that PPP and NCP have began submitting  their papers
for registration.(SEE www; ffdig.org.)One would have
expected these unbanned politicians to emulate Assan
Musa Camara's decision not to register until after the
Presidential Elections but to my disappointment, I am
smelling a dead rat here.

It is on those grounds that I shall not criticise
Foroyaa for issuing such publication. The truth of the
matter is that some of our politicians are
underestimating  the struggle to unseat Jammeh.
Believe me, it is not going to be an easy one to start
with. The unbanned political parties should take note
that they can't solely rely on past support acquired
during the first republic to unseat Jammeh. Instead,
they will have to convince the Gambian electorate,
that they  have a better political agenda for the
Gambia.  Since there are already 4 political parties
in the opposition, one would have expected these
politicians to join forces with them in coordinating a
programme for an alliance against APRC, but it seems
the politics of ego is certainly undermining our hopes
for a united opposition, I hope not.

The challenge lies on us now to start making petitions
to the unbanned political parties about the need for a
united opposition or else chaos for The Gambia as
Jammeh would win, hands down.

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL

Have a wonderful day

Sanusi.