GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin Manneh PF <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 01:13:50 PST
Hi Jabou, i don't really mean that Mr. Halifa Sallah is the only Gambian who
knows about the changes made in the first drafted constitution. What amazes
me most is his ardent support for a constitution that was never scrutinized
by The Gambian people. We could be endorsing our death certificates, who
knows! As a matter of fact,important clauses such as age and term limit of a
sitting president proposed by a overwhelming majority of Gambian people were
delibrately incinerated by the military junta. What about the entrench
clauses? These were not what Gambians proposed to the Constitutional Review
Commission.

However, Mr. Sallah and anybody else have the right to make choice even they
are not clear of what their choice really contains. There is nothing wrong
with that but what is wrong is a potential representative of the people,of
high regard and esteem, cunningly deceiving his party members, supporters
and the general public. Even if Halifa knows this changes after referendum i
think he should atleast share that with his party supporters.

Finally, i hope this will not be considered as a personal attack on
Honorable Sallah. I am just trying to answer Jabou's question. It is also
pretty shameful for me to criticise men like Halifa who are working day and
night to improve the living conditions of their own people. I will reserve
most of my political opinion about Gambia until i finish my education and
join the struggle ring. That probably will be more productive than on this
forum. Who knows if Yahya Jammeh really cares about serious debate on the L.
My respect for all hard working Gambians presenting serving their
communities, Jammeh, Darboe, Hamat Bah, Sidia, Halifa, Waa Juwara (my
favorite), Single Nyassi and all good and bad politicians down there. One
thing that should be clear to all is that oppression of others cannot last
for ever.
Thanks
Lamin PF Manneh