GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 21:40:12 -0400
Abdou:

Your comments are so insulting that I just could go to
sleep without responding.  Your generalization is totally
far from the truth.

I for want did not benefit a dime from Jawara's government.
If I may add, Sir Dawda was and still indebted to my native
constituency, Kombo East.  Before the rest of the Gambia heard
of Jawara, my constituency was used by Jawara in all political
interpretations for our elders to vote for him.  One disturbing
thing was that Jawara used regionalism by coercing our late
Chief Fa Touray Sanyang, that the Brikama people had no respect
for the people of Kombo East.  With that kind of message our
elders overwhelmingly voted for Jawara as our member of parliament.
If we had overwhelmingly voted for Mr. Kai Jabang, who was the
UP candidate, Jawara would not have been the Prime Minister of
The Gambia.  Sir Dawda had used a process of elimination from the
late Sheriff Ceesay to Sheriff M. Dibba, Assan M. Camara and BB Darboe.
Unfortunately for him, Saihou Sabally was the poison who contributed
to Sir Dawda's downfall.

While I cannot speak for the rest of the conscious Gambians who
believe in equity and fairness, I can attest that I never benefited
from Sir Dawda.  I can clearly say that Sir Dawda and the PPP
benefited from the Gambian people.  A PPP government of 30 years
could not even build a single primary school.

Can we find common ground and mediate for fair and equitable
alliance?

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh
Greensboro, NC/Kombo East Constituency