GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin Manneh PF <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 23:34:56 PDT
Mr. Kebba Dampha, I appreciate your comments and questions you've asked
about last presidential election. Below are answers to some of your
questions.
Mr. Dampha ask these questions
1. Why did no court overturn election victories on behalf of PPP, PDOIS, or
NCP after the 1992 elections?  Mr. Dampha during Jawara's time many
parliamentary candidates have challenged election results in court but i
think nobody was successful. The court could not declare the result null and
void because the defeated candidates were always unable to proof their case.
The electoral office never corporate during such litigations.
My uncle(my dad's brother)is the Alikali of a small village in Kombo North.
During the 1992 elections, one of his son under 21 voted for PPP and my
elder sister could not vote because there was no supplementary registration
in Kombo North for over five years. In this election if you remember Sarr
had  over 4300 votes(far more than what the popular Nyimansata Sanneh Bojang
used to have)and Yusupha Cham polled over 3000 votes. But checking into the
previous  elections held in that constituency, Nyimansata Sanneh Bojang
polls slightly over 3000 votes and Abdou Yaya Jatta barely 2000 . Now why
such a huge difference when there was no official supplementary registration
between 1987-92? But if yusupha Cham challenge the results in court, the
electoral office will just tender their manipulated head registers.
2. You asked: If ppp was so versed in the tactics you said were talking
place in Banjul and Serrekunda, why didn't they used the same tactics
against Dembo in Bakau and Gibbo Jagne in Serrekunda west?
Mr. Dampha, the only reason why Dembo By-Force still hold his chair is that
he has one of the most aggressive and die hard supporters than any
politician in The Gambia. In fact if every body is like those "Dinko Kono
Mussolo"( Down Town Women)of Bakau, no alien will vote and nobody will have
the gut to vote twice or more. These women were constantly monitoring all
polling stations with the last official head register, getting aliens and
under ages out of the line and seizing their illegal voter's cards. Some of
them crammed the the last voter's card number in Bakau. I wish you see how
they escort the ballot boxes from Bakau to Brikama for counting and the way
they return to Bakau after an overwhelming victory. Also Dembo is no idle
politician, he starts planning his next election immediately after victory.
For Gibbo Jagne, i think he was not very much affected by these frauds
because Serrekunda West comprises of few aliens, and had older settlements.
He was also a good and popular politician.

3. Mr. Dampha, the registration team comprises five PIEC officials and
village elders. In order to be registered one has produce one of the
following, birth certificate, passport, ID card or attestation from the
Alikali. These documents were not accepted at face value, one must get the
approval of the elders. If for instance you are not known in that area (like
civil servants) but produce one or more of the above named documents, you
will be registered and anybody have the right to protest your registration
in court of law during the period of adjudication. PIEC has no legal right
to de-register somebody after being issued  with a voters card. This must be
done by a competent court.
Regarding voting, your only credential is a valid voters card.
4. You also wants to know more about Returning officers but i am not sure
what information you exactly want. I can give you my job description as a
Returning officer if that will be sufficient.

I am sorry it took me so long to reply you. You will also notice that one or
two of your questions are not answer.
Thanks for your comments
Cheers
LAMIN PF MANNEH