GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 21:36:55 EST

Brother Modou Sidibeh,

I stand corrected. I was not in Gambia when the incident you speak of
occurred, the Eku Mahoney affair, so I got it all mixed up with the  attempted
coup.My mistake. So I really cannot speak to that.
However, regarding Senegalese troops having killed Gambians during the
attempted coup of 1981, I am sure that happened and given the circumstances  where
they were coming in to put down an armed group of people, I am  sure none of
the two sides approached each other with white flags, and without  any sort of
enquiry into what happened as far as who was responsible for which  deaths by
the Gambia government, and which was their responsibility, we  will never have
the hard facts and figures to make a credible argument.So  perhaps to take
our own government at the time to task here would be more  productive as far as
our interest is concerned.

Brother Momodou, yes we can condemn the actions of others, but the gist of
what I was trying to convey is that condemning others is all well and good, but
 we must take care of our own affairs so that we do not leave room for others
to  take advantage of us. Simply condemning Senegal will not solve our
problems. We  have had leadership that has opened the doors that enables these
situations to develop, so we can condemn Senegal all we want, but I  still say
that they did not initiate this nasty issue that led to the arrest of  the NADD
trio and I repeat that the facts are still not known as to whether  the Gambia
government is innocent in this affair, so perhaps, instead of  forgiving the
culprits as some of are wont to do,  we better concentrate  our energies in
taking our own government to task to tell us the truth  about the affair before
we go after the Senegalese. We can protest, but putting  our own house in order
is the only solution.

As for me calling on Senegal to come to our aid on the tam tam  program, I
think you must have misunderstood what I was trying to convey on  the tam tam
programs I was involved with. The aim there was  to educate our Senegalese
neighbours about the plight of our people most of  whom they are related to, and to
bring to light information that the APRC  regime was meddling in the
Casamance issue which had the potential of fermenting  conflict between the two
countries and the third purpose was to remind  Senegal that we are the same people
despite the misdeed of Yaya Jammeh and his  regime.
Senegal could hopefully then take the issue of Jammeh meddling in the
Casamance  and the flow of arms in that effort to an  international community
concerned with terrorism and the uncontrolled flow  of arms and which could result
in trouble for only Jammeh and  those involved in that nasty business with him.

However, this misconception on your part about the objectives of those  radio
programs is just one of many by others that came to my attention  and it is
unfortunate that  the most important thing we were  attempting to accomplish,
namely exposing the misdeed of the Jammeh regime has  been relegated to an
attempt to invite Senegal to come rescue us among other  unsavoury allegations I
have also heard. It is one of the reasons I retreated  from that effort.

On the NADD flag bearer issue, well, frankly, I had assumed that the  idea
was that NADD would choose a flag bearer that did not belong to any of  the
opposition parties involved and that a subsequent  interim  government would also
consist of people who were not members of any of the  parties involved in the
coalition, with the opposition party bases  simply providing a voting block by
urging their party supporters to put  their vote behind such a candidate to
bring such a government into power. The  idea behind this suggestion being to
avoid any potential power struggle  between these opposition parties that will
bring about a stalemate in the  process. It would also provide a situation
where an interim  government would be comprised of an independent group of people
who  can then work with out any sort of party bias to provide a level playing
 field in which all the various opposition parties would come in to
participate  in future elections. This interim government would also have a lot of
house  cleaning to do, from enquiries into all the atrocities of this current
regime to restoring our constitution so that it has meaning again. This  would
also have avoided the necessity of registering a new party as was the case  with
all the set backs that issue brought with it.

 However, not to pre-empt NADD's decision, but at least from my  own
perception,  and after all the things that have transpired so far, it  appears this
will not be the case and perhaps that is one of the reasons that  the choice of
a flag bearer has been delayed? I will also reveal  that this is also my
biggest disappointment with this  effort. Power struggles between the different
political parties  involved  are what causes coalition governments to
disintegrate  and that is why the choice of an independent body of people that does not
owe  allegiance to any party, and which I was expecting to be  the case would
have been a brilliant move.

So, when it appeared that the above would not be the case and that  perhaps
the choice will be from among the various opposition party officials or
representatives, I expressed my support for someone who I know is capable and  has
the best interest of Gambians at heart, well aware that others are free  to do
the same. I was not trying to promote any party in this case, simply  expr
essing an opinion and advocating someone whose  character, capabilities and
dedication to what is best for  Gambians across the board are in line with some of
the ideals I hold dear.
Simply, we need a leadership that puts what is best for Gambia and  it's
people first, and who stand for the truth always under all circumstances no
matter what, whose aim is not just power for the sake of  power and the protection
of that power by any means, but who know that they  are there to do a job, not
just posture and steal.  If that is the  case, the rest will naturally fall
into place and the right choices that  advocate and protect what is best for
all will follow.

Sister Jabou Joh

In a message dated 12/16/2005 4:11:58 A.M. Central Standard Time,