GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malamin Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:52:17 +0000
Please try not to laugh as you read.

MJohnson

Jammeh Warns Banks To Stop Outlaw Tactics
by Malick Mboob – Daily Observer
President Yahya Jammeh has said that the focus of his 'Operation No
Compromise' will turn to the country's commercial banks, some of which are
selling the dollar and other foreign currencies at high rates.
He made this remark yesterday at the airport on his arrival from a two-week
tour of South-East Asia.
President Jammeh said if the parallel market is controlled, there is no
reason why the banks should behave like outlaws.
"My next phase is the banks. I see no reason why if the parallel market
which is more difficult to control is controlled, banks should behave like
outlaws. I am going to deal with them very drastically, there is no
compromise.  I have [just] arrived, wait till tomorrow (today) you will see
what I am going to do," he stressed.
President Jammeh warned that the banks should either do what is in the best
interest of Gambians and themselves, or leave the country. "There is no
compromise with regard to the economic measures we are taking. I know that
certain banks are selling the dollar at D25, others at D27, and then others
still selling at D33.  That is unacceptable," he said.
He reaffirmed that 'Operation No Compromise' will be a relentless operation.
"That is what I have decided to do because I have given Gambian officials
one year to do something and they did not do anything. Now that I have taken
full charge of everything, there is no compromise and nobody will come up
with bogus economic principles that are non-existent anywhere in the world.
Nobody can fool me in economics because economics is common sense," he
noted.
"The banking institution is supposed to be a tertiary institution where all
businessmen have a level playing field.  If the banks do not level the
playing field, some businesses will operate to the detriment of others,
which is unacceptable.  They [bankers] must level the playing field," he
said.
President Jammeh said that his 'electric broom' will not spare anybody and
called on the banks to regulate themselves before he regulates them. "Let
them not try to scare us by economic formulae that do not exist anywhere in
the world.  'Operation No Compromise' has not ended. I know what is going on
in the banks. They have different rates and there are unscrupulous people in
the banks who set their own rates to make more money without the bank
administration knowing it," he said.

Want to check if your PC is virus-infected?  Get a FREE computer virus scan
online from McAfee.