GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 20:17:41 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No.  47/2007, 25 - 26 April, 2007

Editorial
WHO IS THE NEXT IEC  APPOINTEE?
THE INSTITUTION THAT JUST CANNOT RETAIN ITS COMMISSIONERS
As we  commemorate Republican day, 24 April 2007, the day on which the
sovereignty of  the people was established 27 years ago, in 1970 it is necessary for
Foroyaa to  focus on the institution which is established to oversee the
assertion of the  sovereign will of the Gambian people to determine their manner
of government;  that is the Independent Electoral Commission.
The Constitution of the  Republic establishes security of tenure of members
of the IEC which many of them  never enjoyed.
Section 42 of the constitution states among other things that  “the members
of the commission shall be appointed for a period of seven years  and may be
reappointed for one further term.”
This means that the tenure of  office of a member of the commission is 7
years. The longest period a person can  serve as IEC member is two terms adding up
to 14 years.
The fact of the  matter however is that since the 1997 Constitution came into
being the members  of the IEC have been changing so rapidly that one wonders
whether they are  experiencing any security of tenure as provided for by the
constitution.
The  recent appointment of Mr. Alieu Omar Njie, a member of the Commission to
the  office of Acting Mayor KMC is an example of the situation of uncertainty
that  has plagued the IEC since its inception.
In short, once Mr. Njie occupied the  office of Mayor he became disqualified
both by the Local Government Act and the  Constitution for membership in the
Independent Electoral Commission.
Now that  Mr. Njie is no longer a member of the IEC somebody else should be
appointed to  the post.
Foroyaa invites Gambians to begin to propose candidates for the  post to
determine whether the President will react to public opinion favourably.  Foroyaa
would like to propose Ms. Bijou Peters or Mrs. Belinda Bidwell. Either  one of
these women are likely to take this important function seriously and  serve
with independence and impartiality as has already been displayed by their
track record.
Do you have other Gambians who should be given recognition for  public
service? Write and we will publish your opinion.

“NO  EVIDENCE AGAINST MAIMUNA TAAL,” Says Lawyer
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
Antouman  Gaye, Lawyer for Maimuna Taal, ex-Directress General of the Gambia
Civil  Aviation Authority (GCAA) on Monday April 23, made his submission at
the High  Court that the state does not have sufficient evidence to proof the
seven  economic crime charges against Mrs. Taal.
Mr. Gaye was saying this while  submitting “a no case to answer” before
Justice S.M Monageng. Before Mr. Gaye  made his submission, the court ruled in
favour of the accused person that she  can make a submission of “no case to
answer.” This followed the prosecution’s  objection to her making the submission.
On counts one and two, the defence  argued that the prosecution witnesses
have not shoes any evidence of illegal or  dishonest on the part of Mrs Taal for
receiving allowance from the Airport  Improvement Project.
Mr. Gaye said that it was a normal procedure which was  received by Taal’s
predecessor and successor including all members of the  contract committee.
According to Gaye, the state could not make an attempt to  substantiate the
allegations. On count three, the lawyer continued to say that  the accused did
not recommend the awarding of the staff residence refurbishment  contract to
Bajan Enterprise.
The accused person was only approving what was  recommended by the contract
committee, he went on to say.
Pushing his defence  further, counsel Gaye said the accused person did not
have any ulterior motive  in gaining from the GCAA as counts four, five and six
claimed.
The lawyer  argued that non of the prosecution witnesses is in a position to
say whether  Mrs. Taal caused economic loss to the Government of The Gambia. “
The evidence is  completely opposite to the charges. The prosecution witnesses
did even help the  accused to defend herself,” the lawyer posited.
On the final charge, count  seven, Lawyer Gaye said that even the prosecution
witnesses told the court that  Taal was professional and did not abuse her
office.
Mr. Gaye cited numerous  cases to support his argument, among which is R. vs.
Baker. The state which is  represented by Merely Wood in court will reply to
the defence’s submission by  filing in on April 26th.

KOINA WARD SURRENDER ARMS FOR  DEVELOPMENT
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
A number of 28 guns and some ammunitions  voluntarily surrendered by
communities of Koina Ward in the Upper River Region  (URR) were on Saturday, April 21,
destroyed in exchange for development projects  provided by the West African
Network for Peace building (WANEP) The  Gambia.
The Sub-Regional Programme on Small Arms and Light Weapons Project
(SRP-SALW) is being funded by the Canadian Fund for Africa, through a consortium  of
Oxfarm-Great Britain and the Canadian Centre for International Studies and
Cooperation (CECI). It is also being implemented in Guinea, Guinea Bissau and
Senegal.
The two year pilot programme which is in its last month is aimed at
improving and promoting peace and security of people in the sub-region with the
vision of creating an enabling environment for sustainable development.
WANEP  which is the focal point of the programme in The Gambia undertook a
sensitization programme in the area recently resulting to the collection of
different types of guns and ammunition and in turn providing them with a
multi-purpose skills centre, a hand pump well and two grinding machines for  coos,
millet and groundnuts, which were unveiled at the ceremony.
The  Secretary of State for Interior, Ousman Sonko, told the gathering at the
 destruction of guns ceremony that the government needs the cooperation and
assistance of its citizens to fight crime at all times.
Mr. Sonko re-called  the recent up surge in armed robberies in the country,
saying that his  government has given priority to security and safety for its
citizenry.
“Government was a signatory to the adoption of the draft ECOWAS  convention
on Small Arms and Light Weapons during the ECOWAS Head of State  Summit in
Abuja in June 2006.” I am pleased to assure you all, that Government  will not
only adopt but would  also ratify this very important convention  in the
sub-region,” SoS Sonko promised.
He added that Koina Ward being, a  guns-free society is a positive message
and is enough justification to extend  the project to other communities cross
The Gambia.
Dr. Pamela Cole, National  Coordinator of WANEP-The Gambia, said that The
Gambia is in a strategic location  of a region which has witnessed armed
conflicts in the recent past.
She said  that The Gambia needs to be wise and learn from the mistakes Guinea
Bissau,  Casamance and other war ravaged countries have encountered.
Despite being a  poor country, she said, The Gambia has peace as it’s most
precious commodity,  which if preserved can serve as an engine to end poverty in
all communities.
Mr. Job said that development cannot be enjoyed in the absence of peace. “No
meaningful development can be sustained without peace and security,” he
stressed. He noted that gone are those days when people should be engaged in
endless conflict like the Medieval periods in Europe and the Dark Ages in  Africa.
The programme’s Technical Adviser in Dakar, Ndiankou Gueye, said that  the
communities of Koina Ward and the Gambia’s Security forces have been helpful  to
the project.
Mr. Gueye added that their objective is to see the  sub-region free from
conflict and achieve development. Julie Lambal of Movement  Contre Les Armes
Ligeres en Afrique de l’Ouest (MALAO), WANEP’s sister  organisation in Senegal,
also recognised the need to consolidate peace for  sustainable development.
The ceremony was coloured by traditional musical  performance by the
Sarahule, Fula and Mandinka singers, drummers and  dancers.
A multilingual play was staged by the Nova-Scotia Gambia Association  Peer
Health Educators featuring a young man maimed by a gun which his father  refused
to dispose of.

AFRICA MALARIA DAY TODAY
By Sarjo Camara  Singhateh
Today id Africa Malaria Day and The Gambia Government together with  its
partners should now be commemorating the day.
Speaking to Foroyaa the  Manager, Health Education Unit, Mr. Amadou Sowe
stated that this year the  celebration is to be held at Mamut Fana in the Central
River Region; that the  host for the celebration is (NYAAMA) Niamina Youth
Association Against Malaria  and AIDS.
He stated that the Slogan for this year 2007 is “Free Africa from  Malaria.”
He emphasized that the theme is “No time to waste in the urgent  struggle
against malaria”. He pointed out that the slogan recognises the  tremendous
burden of those living in endemic countries, “With malaria claiming  the lives of
children and incapacitating adults”. The disease he said is holding  back the
development of an entire continent, he asserted.
He noted that the  slogan is an appeal not only to the urgency but also to
the possibility of  immediate action. New funding and new technologies are
starting to show  impressive results, already saving the lives of hundreds of
thousands of  Africans. With more resources, more coordination and more leadership,
“we can  save and improve the lives of millions now! That is what the slogan
aimed at,”  he said.
He said it is imperative also to build on the Dakar Appeal in which  African
governments of endemic countries are calling upon the global community  to
step up their efforts to strike back at Malaria.
He said the theme for  this year is “headership and partnership for results?
He further stated that it  highlights how we need to move forward to free
Africa from malaria. It  emphasises strong leadership and effective partnership as
key to achieving our  goals. Leadership, he said, is required at all levels
to meet the challenges of  scaling up malaria control. He said countries must
show leadership in  prioritizing malaria and increasing their health budgets. “
They must demonstrate  leadership in managing malaria resources effectively. A
successful use of  existing funds is most likely to attract new financial
resources”, he remarked.  He said community and corporate leadership is also
critical in effective  implementation, as is the leadership of NGOs and others
working at all  levels.
He stated that partnership is key in overcoming implementation bottle  necks
and ensuring that commodities begin to flow to where they are needed most.  He
pointed out that only by working together can we hope to control malaria. He
mentioned that partners must coordinate and harmonise their activities under
the  leadership of countries with a clear focus on achieving results.
He said  result means saving lives. “This will happen on a large scale if
countries can  achieve 80% coverage of population at risk with insecticide
treated bed nets.  Indoor residual spraying, and the most effective malaria
treatments available  today,” he stated.
He emphasised that with effective leadership and  partnership, together we
can achieve results!

INTERVIEW WITH  HALIFA
On Republican Day, NDAM, NADD
Foroyaa: Today, 24 April is  Republican Day. Do you have anything to say?
Halifa: The absence of any  commemoration confirms that we are yet to have a
government which truly want the  people to treasure their sovereignty. There
can be no Republic without a  sovereign people. A Republican state is the
highest form of a Democratic state.  A Republican State is one where sovereignty
resides in the people. This is why  Chapter 1 subsection (2) of the Constitution
states categorically that
“The  sovereignty of The Gambia resides in the people of the Gambia from whom
all  organs of government derive their authority and in whose name and for
whose  welfare and prosperity the power of government are to be exercised in
accordance  with this constitution.”
This provision is the bedrock of a Republican  Constitution. It should be
memorized by every Gambian if they are to be mature  citizens of a Republic.
Hence as we commemorate 24 April each Gambian should  ask himself or herself
this question. “ Does the sovereignty of the country  reside in me? Is the
authority of the government derived from my consent in  addition to the consent
of the majority of my fellow compatriots? Is the  authority derived from us by
those who manage our affairs being exercised to  promote our liberty,
prosperity and general welfare? These are the questions  that all citizens should act
on, on Republican day. If the answers to the  question are in the positive
then one should celebrate the birth of such a  Republic. If the answers are in
the negative then one should know that one lives  in a Republic only in name and
should strive to bring changes to make Republican  existence a reality. This
is my message to the Nation on this august day which  every government which
treasures the sovereignty of the people must transform  into a public holiday
to enable marches and speeches to take place to remind the  people that power
belongs to them.
Foroyaa: Mr. Juwara has written a letter  indicating the withdrawal of NDAM
from NADD. What is your reaction?
Halifa:  That does not need a reaction. It requires acceptance of the
position of a  sovereign person and sovereign political entity. Association is a
matter of  choice. Each person has freedom of Association. Each party has freedom
of  Association. I respect his view and the position of his party.
Foroyaa: This  does not make you change your view on Juwara?
Halifa: Those who have followed  the history of Gambian politics would know
that Juwara has gone through very  trying times. He has been ostracized for his
positions and beliefs. I had my  opinions of many political personalities in
the Gambia until I fought my own  misgivings to accept to be a Coordinator of
an opposition alliance. I must say  that even though things did not
materialize as expected I have come out of the  process knowing how to build positive
relationships with any person. I’m  compelled by historical circumstances to
work with.
In my view, Juwara is  heading towards his mid sixties and above. The age
limit of being a Presidential  candidate is 65. He has witnessed the difficulties
of trying to change a  government without adequate financial and moral
support from those who are quick  to preach doom and gloom. I sympathize with any
move he takes and hope that the  sacrifices he had made to the point of enduring
broken hands and imprisonment  will not have been endured in vain. Very few
people have gone through the ordeal  he experienced. I wish him a dignified and
honourable existence out of the NADD  compact.
Foroyaa: What is the future of NADD?
Halifa: The grassroots  membership especially the women are displaying
overwhelming resilience. It is  necessity which gave birth to NADD. Apparently,
necessity is keeping it on  track. The grassroots base is calling for more
activities. I am sure the  leadership will soon meet to chart a way forward. The
future is bright for  NADD.

IN KANILAI FARM TRIAL
ACCUSED LACKS  COUNSEL

By Modou Jonga
An accused person, Milko Berben a 46 year  old Dutch national, has on Tuesday
24th April, 2006 stated that he cannot  engaged the service of a lawyer
despite making efforts.
According to the  Dutchman most lawyers declined to represent him upon
knowing that his case is  connected to Kanilai Farms. Mr. Berben, an engineer with
the Global Energy  Company is standing trial before Magistrate M’bai of the
Brikama Magistrates’  Court for allegedly stealing three generators being the
properties of Kanilai  Farm Company.
The alleged theft case is said to be committed sometime in 2006  at Kanilai
and Bugene village respectively in the Western Region.
In his  testimony as the first prosecution witness, Mr. Musa A.M Njie NAWEC
Operation  Engineer Kotu power station, said he was instructed by his manager
to accompany  three NIA personnel to Bijilo. Their mission, stated the witness,
was to check  some generators and to ascertain whether they can be operated.
Upon arrival  at Bijilo, the witness said, precisely four mechanics were
found working.  Testifying further, the witness stated, that he was told by a
mechanic that the  said generators cannot be operated due to mechanical break
down.
Subsequently, the witness affirmed that he was instructed by the NIA
Officers to make a report with regards to the generators. The said report was
tendered in court and marked as an exhibit without objection by the accused  person.
While being cross examined, the witness noted that, he was not informed  of
their mission to Bijilo prior to their departure on 29th January,  2007.
Also testifying; the second witness Jim Secka, an engineer with the  Global
Energy Company said he often service generators at Kanilai together with  other
personnel.
According to the second witness, he was authorised by the  accused to take
three generators from Kanilai to the Global Energy headquarters  at Bijilo
accompanied by the accused and his family. As a result of a break  down, the
witness said the three generators were brought to Bijilo.
The third  generator, stated the witness, belongs to the mother of the
president and it was  taken from Bugene. The pictures of the said generators which
were identified by  the accused person were tendered in court and marked as an
exhibit without  objection by the accused.
At the disembarking scene of the three generators  the witness said, pictures
of the generators were also taken. The said pictures  were also tendered in
court and marked as exhibits.
According to the witness,  upon arrival at Bijilo, the three generators were
inspected but a break down on  them was discovered. With this regard, the
witness said, the accused was  informed accordingly. The witness, noted that while
the generators were being  taken to the National Intelligence Agency
headquarters in Banjul, the said  generators were intact. The witness also stated
that, he made a statement to the  Police.
The further noted that the said generators are presently with the NIA  but
said he did not know the NIA personnel who took the said generators. At that
juncture prosecutor Superintendent Dibba applied for an adjournment. The case
was thus adjourned to 9th May 2007.

HOW THE COURT MARTIAL CAME TO  ITS VERDICT
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
The president of The Gambia Court  Martial, Commander Sarjo Fofana, while
delivering judgment 19 April on Thursday  indicated that every long journey must
come to an end. He added that the whole  court process was done in justice and
that it was done in peace.
Commander  Fofana stated that the prosecution has duty to prove beyond
reasonable doubt  that the alleged offenders are prosecuted accordingly. Fofana
added that the  dragging of the case was not an issue as long as justice is not
denied. “I think  we are now in a position to read out the verdict and we pray
that this never  happened in the history of The Gambia.”
The judge advocate, Justice Akimoyae  Agim, added that any body who is
excited by the verdict should try to control  his or her emotion, saying “especially
soldiers, who were trained to be  disciplined.” He also warned those who
might not be controllable or saddened by  the verdict, not to harass anybody. He
said, “the verdict today is not anybody’s  responsibility but that of the
court.”
Agim said that on the 27 September  2006, Chief of Defense Staff, Colonel
Lang Tombong Tamba issued an order for a  Court Martial to try the accused
persons who were all members of The Gambia  Armed Forces. He stated that on the 21
March 2006, the accused persons were  procuring other people to cause mutiny
and to over throw the government of The  Gambia. He said that on 11 October
2006, the accused persons were arraigned  before the court martial and they
pleaded not guilty. He said that the  prosecution has called witnesses to testify
and the defense also called for a  trial within trial of which many witnesses
testified. Justice Agim indicated  that the prosecution has to prove beyond
reasonable doubt that the accused  persons were guilty of the said offenses. He
said that the statements were  confessionary statements. Justice Agim said that
it was the idea or view of the  accused persons to be put before GRTS so that
they will apologize to The Gambian  Public. He said the tape is admissible
before the court, saying “In that video  recording, the tape speaks for itself.”
Agim noted that Captain Saikou Secka  testified as an eye witness account
that he was persuaded by Colonel Ndure Cham  and Captain Bunja Darboe to be part
of the coup. Agim asserted that Captain  Bunja Darboe stated that he was
instructed by Colonel Cham to prepare a written  address to the public.
He added that Corporal Arjuma Camara also testified  that, Captain Wassa
Camara came to his guard post at the Abuko Earth Station and  asked for one Mr.
Njie. He added that Mr. Njie also testified that he was called  by one Camara
while he was on his way to Senegal but that he told him to see him  at his
office the following day.
He said that the second accused person  (Yaya Darboe) has also gone to Gamtel
to cut off the external communication,  with the third accused person, (Wassa
Camara).
On the fourth (4) accused  person, 2nd Lieutenant Pharing Sanyang, “that
Corporal Samba Bah’s statement  indicated that while he was chatting with the 4th
accused person, they saw Musa  Bojang (Intelligent Officer) was passing by and
the fourth (4) accused person  kept quiet, he said this clearly shows that
the fourth accused was part of the  coup. He said that even though Corporal Bah
advised Pharing Sanyang not to be  part of it, the fourth accused (Pharing)
was hiding information from the  intelligent officer who was passing by. He also
added that when Captain Famara  Jammeh told the fourth accused that he heard
about a coup being planned, the  fourth accused person did not tell Captain
Jammeh of what he knew. Instead he  sat in his office without doing anything.
On Captain Abdou Karim Jah, Agim  said that, Jah stated that he was called by
Captain Bunja Darboe to his office  but that upon his arrival, he met three
civilians there and that he returned for  the second time and met him with 2nd
lieutenant Pharing Sanyang, RSM Tamba and  the other he did not know. Agim
added that Captain Jah stated that he did not  know what the quartet were
discussing but that Captain Darboe promised to call  him back which he never did.
On Captain Pierre J. Mendy, Agim said that,  Captain Mendy stated that while
they were working at the Barracks, RSM Alpha Bah  asked him whether he (Mendy)
was informed by CDS Cham about the coup and that he  (Mendy) replied no. Agim
indicated that, according to Captain Mendy he told RSM  Bah not to mention
the coup to him because he would not be part of it. Agim  noted that, during the
testimony in chief of Captain Mendy, he said that his  statement was obtained
under duress, threat and promises. Agim ruled that the  court did not believe
in his testimony that his statement was not obtained under  threat or duress.
On Lieutenant Momodou Alieu Bah, Agim stated that Captain  Bunja Darboe
stated in his cautionary statement that the then CDS Ndure Cham  mentioned to him
names of people who were part of the coup which included  Lieutenant M.A Bah.
He said M.A Bah and Captain Seckan were to take control of  the Fajara
Barracks.
On Corporal Samba Bah, Agim said that the prosecution  has laid evidence
against him that he was informed by Second Lieutenant Pharing  Sanyang about the
coup, and who was to take control of Denton Bridge to State  House. Agim said
that, Corporal Bah did not do anything to inform a Senior  Officer, Magistrate
or a Police Officer. Agim said that, Corporal Samba Bah has  mentioned in his
statement that he did try to stop Pharing from taking part. He  said that
Corporal Bah testified in court that his statement was not written by  him but
that he was forced to do so before they got rid of him. On Lance  Corporal Babou
Janha and Private Alagie Nying, Justice Agim said the evidence  against them
is the same. Agim said that, going by the tape that was relayed  over GRTS TV,
Alieu Jobe had informed the two about the coup. Agim indicated  that the duo
did not do anything to report the matter. He concluded that Alieu  Jobe
corroborated Omar Faal Keita’s statement. He said that their counsel made a  no case
submission but it was overruled.
After the president of the court  pronounced the accused guilty. Justice Agim
finally called on the defense  counsels to mitigate on behalf of their
clients. Counsel, Lamin S. Camara, Borry  S. Touray, Lamin K. Mboge and Lamin
Jobarteh told the court that the accused  persons were military officers of The
Gambia Armed Forces with distinguished  records in the force and that they are
family men, and some of them are with two  wives and many children. They said the
accused persons are in their prime. They  indicated that the ten men had laid
their lives for The Gambia and had adhered  to the rules and regulations of
The Gambia Armed Forces. They urged the court to  temper justice with mercy.
They said the court can discharged the men from the  Armed Forces. They pleaded
that sentencing them will not only have serious  repercussion on them but on
their families.
Justice Agim also ruled that the  application for the state to return the
vehicles and properties of the accused  persons is granted. He said he will write
an order and direct it to Director  General of NIA, IGP, the Director of
Prisons and the Chief of Defense Staff.
However, before sentence was delivered the President of the Court, Commander
Sarjo Fofana, indicated that the remarks made by the counsels under the law
are  recognizable. He maintained that the accused persons wanted to overthrow
the  democratically elected government of the country. He said several attempts
were  made to overthrow the government. He said looking at what is happing in
other  countries, the peace we have will never be compromised and the
competent and  constitutional authority of the state should not be challenge. He
therefore  sentenced Captain Bunja Darboe, Captain Yaya Darboe, Captain Wassa
Camara and  Second Lieutenant Pharing Sanyang to life imprisonment. Captain
Abdoukarim Jah  and Lieutenant Momodou Alieu Bah were each sentenced to twenty-five
(25) years  imprisonment, while the rest, Captain Pierre Mendy, Corporal Samba
Bah, Lance  Corporal Babou Janha and Private Alagie Nying were each sentenced
to ten years  imprisonment. All sentences are to run concurrently. As the
verdict was being  read, relatives, sympathizers, cronies and family members of
the convicts became  emotional and started sobbing. The convicts were quickly
whisked away into a  mini bus which was escorted by a fleet of vehicles.

Bakau United in  First Win, Real Trash Biko
By Modou Nyang
Relegation threatened Bakau  United collected their first full three points
on Sunday when they beat  newcomers Seaview by two goals to nil. And at the
Independence Stadium on the  same day, Real de Banjul demolished Steve Biko by
three goals to zero.
Ebou  Jorbateh put the struggling Bakau side in the lead and Buba Bojang made
safe all  three points from the penalty spot. Seaview struggled to cancel out
Jorbateh’s  lead but were not fortunate enough before Bojang closed the day,
when striker  Daddy Gai was fouled inside the penalty area.
Real de Banjul on the other  hand defeated Biko by a three goal margin
despite being without their coach who  resigned last week. The win propelled Real to
join third position with 14 points  together with Gambia Ports Authority FC.

ROAD TRAFFIC INJURIES-TOO  COSTLY
(Globally $518 Billion Per Year!)

By Sarjo Camara  Singhateh
“Everyone killed, injured or disabled by a road traffic crash has a  network
of others, including family and friends, who are deeply affected,” says  Mr.
Momodou Gassama, WHO communications officer.
Mr. Gassama was quoting from  the world report on road traffic injury,
prevention summary report.
He said  Globally, millions of people are coping with death or disability of
family  members from road traffic injuries. It would be impossible to attach a
value to  each case of human sacrifice and suffering, add up the values and
produce a  figure that captures the global social costs of road crashes and
injuries.  According to the report the economic cost of road crashes and injuries
is  estimated to be 1% of gross national product (GNP) in low-income
countries, 1.5%  in middle income countries and 2% in high-income countries. He said
the Global  cost is estimated to be US$518 billion per year. Low-income and
middle-income  countries account for US$65 billion, more than they receive in
development  assistance. He stated that road traffic injuries place a heavy
burden, not on  global and national economies but also household finances. “Many
families are  driven deeply into poverty by the loss of breadwinners and the
added burden of  caring for members disabled by road traffic injuries.” According
to the report  by contrast, very little money is invested in preventing road
crashes and  injuries. The report further stated that funds spent on research
and development  focus on several health concerns, including road safety.
Comparatively little is  spent on implementation, even though many interventions
that would prevent  crashes and injuries are well known, well tested,
cost-effective and publicly  acceptable.

PROSECUTOR’S ABSENCE DELAYS LAMIN FATTY’S  TRIAL
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
The absence of Police Prosecutor, Momodou  Mballow, from court on Monday led
to the adjournment of the trial of Lamin  Fatty, a journalist with the closed
bi-weekly, The Independent.
Defence  counsel, Lamin S. Camara told the court that in the interest of
justice he had  no option but to adjourn the case.
The Presiding magistrate, Buba Jawo of the  Kanifing Magistrate Court,
deferred the case to the 30th of April, 2007.
Mr.  Fatty is standing trial for allegedly publishing false  information.

FORMER PS’s TRIAL SUFFER SETBACK
By Fabakary  B. Ceesay
The trial involving the former Permanent Secretary of Works and
Infrastructure and the state has been adjourned due to the absence of the state  counsel.
When the case was called before Magistrate Pa Harry Jammeh of  Kanifing, the
defence counsel Lamin S. Camara announced his representation for  the accused.
The case was then deferred to the 8th May 2007 for the prosecution  to be
available in court. Magistrate Jammeh told the accused person to be coming  to
court regularly as required by the law. The former Permanent Secretary, Mr.
Lamin Sanneh was brought to court by the state for alleged negligence of
official duties contrary to section 113 of the criminal code. The particulars of
offense indicates that on the 8th and 9th November 2006, Mr. Sanneh neglected to
report to the office as he was required to do so. He pleaded not guilty and
was  granted bail with the sum of D100,000 Mr. Sanneh prior to appearance in
court,  has spend almost five months in detention. He first appeared before the
court on  the 3rd April 2007. This is the second time his case has been
adjourned, without  proceeding.

KAWSU CEESAY’S TRIAL
More Testimonies
By Bubacarr  K. Sowe
Safiatou Njie, Directress of Administration at the Independent  Electoral
Commission (IEC) on Tuesday appeared in the six million dalasis  forgery trial of
Kawsu Ceesay, IEC’s Chief Electoral officer.
Mr. Ceesay is  accused of forging the signature of the then Chairman of the
IEC, Mr. Ndondi  Njie for the approval of the purchase of electoral materials
from Code  Incorporate, a Canadian firm.
Testifying before Magistrate Babucarr Secka of  the Kanifing Magistrates
Court, Mrs. Njie said she knows Code Inc as the company  IEC used to order
electoral materials from.
She went on to say that, in March  2006. Mr. Ndondi Njie told the
commissioners that he received emails and  telephone calls from Code Inc regarding IEC’s
order of electoral materials which  she said the IEC had already cancelled
after making a firm order.
She added  that this was related to her while at the ex-Chairman’s (Njie)
office with other  commission members including the accused person, who also
attended the  meeting.
Mrs. Njie went on to say that at that meeting, Mr. Njie informed  them that
he never gave approval while Mr. Ceesay argued that it was Mr. Njie  who gave
him the green light to order for the electoral materials.
She  narrated that during the argument between Messrs Njie and Ceesay, no
document  was produced on the purported approval.
Mrs. Njie told the court that she was  surprised when she was shown the
approval document between July and August,  2006, after Mr. Njie’s removal from
office as IEC’s Chairman.
Under  cross-examination with defence counsel Musa Batchilly, she said that
nothing in  a memo (exhibit) given to her in court indicates that Mr. Ceesay
was asking for  approval.
She agreed that Ceesay was instructed by the IEC to look for  invoices for
electoral materials and that he got an invoice from Code  Inc.
She also said that Ceesay had maintained that he was given verbal
instruction by Njie, but Njie also argued that he could not do so since there  was no
fund to pay for the order made.
She also said she is not aware if IEC  has ever investigated the matter.
Mrs. Njie finally said that IEC has been  ordering electoral materials from
Code Inc. in the past, adding that she is not  aware of any order made by the
IEC to Code Inc after Njie’s tenure of  office.