GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 13:10:02 EST
In a message dated 4/3/04 11:20:49 AM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> "we have two options either to let history take a
> disastrous path or shape the course of history towards
> the right path."
> ."The purpose of history is to learn the lessons of
the past and we let history repeat itself in vice then
we might be very sorry for ourself. We will then let
both ourself and our future children down."
"The Gambia is country of tolerance and is not divided
by tribal demarcations and tribal values or allegiance
have no place in The Gambia."

Brother,

I think we need to be very clear before we label people that are commenting
on tribal issues as tribalists.
I am making a comment on the issue of tribalism for the reasons you have
stated and which I have quoted above. There are some indications that Jammeh is
playing a tribal card and the very reason that such things have led to genocide
and other horrible things in places like Rwanda is because no one wanted to
talk about it. I think we have to discuss these issues so that we can let it be
known that the people are very much aware of any attempts to engage in such
things and thereby avoid the possible consequences in our own country.
We as Gambians have a tendency to not talk about things until they get out of
hand and we cannot affort to do that in this. case.
Rather, I think the issue to how do we get across to Jammeh that tribalism
will not be tolerated, as opposed to trying to put a gag order on the discussion
of tribalism even when there are certain tendencies that will cause divisions
along tribal lines being  implemented by Yaya Jammeh. For example, why is it
that Gambians have never asked the question why Jammeh moved our capital to
Kanilai? Is there a plausible explanation for this action?

Jabou Joh