GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin Manneh PF <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 23:38:20 PDT
IT IS GOOD TO HEAR FROM A FORMER PIEC WORKER

Thanks for those observations Mr. Ceesay. The referendum was a perfect trial
run  for PIEC to strengthen their security strategy. You are right that the
security seals(green in color) were pretty fragile during transportation in
many parts of the country but they were replaced with harder ones(red in
color)during presidential election.
Also during referendum the safety of ballot boxes were entirely left to the
PIEC officials(you especially) and the police officers. There was no polling
agents and counting agents representing political parties.In all the polling
stations under me, i make sure that the presiding officer and his/her
assistants had physical possession of the boxes throughout. I had no
discrepancy. You see your own organisational skill as an Assistant Returning
Officer is very important here. I think i met you on few occasions and you
were a very good ARO.
Mr. Ceesay, i cannot understand why you should allow a station commander to
usurp your duty even after the intervention of the PIEC commissioner, Ms
Baldeh. I had a big fight with Jai Sowe, station officer in Sibanor and the
chief of Foni Bintang Karangnai on how to transport ballot boxes to Brikama
during referendum but i completely refused their plans even after the
intervention of the Returning Officer. Finally they subdued and i drove
behind the Corporative truck(transporting ballot boxes and election duty
officials) up to the counting center. I really appreciate your resistance
but you should not yield.
Please for the sake of open and frank debate, let us know what events you
have witness during referendum which if allowed in presidential election
could alter the results completely.
cheers
Your former colleagues
PF Manneh