GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mori Kebba Jammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:02:48 -0500
Culled from the daily Observer

Bamba Jobarteh, 19, a grade 11 student at Armitage Senior Secondary School
and a native of Bansang, died Saturday.

His family members said Bamba's death was caused by the alleged torture
meted out to him while he was under detention at the Janjangbureh Prisons
after his arrest.

A family member said, "After he was released, Bamba's health condition was
constantly deteriorating and that was why he was admitted at the Bansang
Hospital until his death last Saturday at 8pm.  Two  hours after his death,
Bamba was still bleeding and that is one of the reasons why we believe Bamba
died as a result of the torture he received after the April 11 event from
security officers at the Janjangbureh Prisons. Before Bamba's body was set
for burial on Sunday, his two brothers, Mawdo Jobarteh and Morro Dibba,
returned to Bansang from the Kombos and insisted that Bamba's body must be
taken to Bansang Hospital for post-mortem to determine the cause of Bamba's
death. When the body was taken to the hospital, the doctor-in-charge,
Balamusa Jobarteh, referred us to RVH, Banjul and we are desperately waiting
for the results of the post-mortem."

Grandmother of the deceased, Aji Alima Dibba, said, "just after the April 11
events, soldiers came here in my house asking for Bamba and I told them that
Bamba was not in the house.  They were displeased with that statement and
took me to Bansang where I was detained for three hours and released."

Meanwhile, Baboucarr Jallow of the RVH mortuary has said, "the postmortem
has already been carried on Bamba Jobarteh's body, his post-mortem result is
yet to be released."

The police PRO was not available for comment.

Mori