GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:11:14 -0400
Beran, thanks for forwarding Yaya’s interview with Marcel Thomasi (who at
one point was appointed briefly to replace Tombong). It has been ages since
I saw such magnitude of unadulterated rubbish. Yaya’s handlers tried all
they could to package the vermin and make him sound intelligent and
moderate. But the bottom-line is that you can take Yaya from the bush but
you can NEVER take the bush out of Yaya. The real Yaya is the one that
stands on national TV without any handlers and threatens NAWEC personnel
with death if they ‘sabotage’ his regime. The real Yaya is the one that
stands on national TV without any handlers and boasts of being the richest
man in Gambia.

Did these people for one moment believe that we are going to buy this
garbage Yaya was spewing about corruption and morality? I do NOT know what
these Yaya handlers think of Gambians. Yaya is the MOST corrupt person The
Gambia has ever seen. As he was giving that interview, he had stashed away
in Swiss Banks millions of dollars stolen from the Gambian poor, and the
vermin preach about corruption and morality. Rather than saying that they
were interviewing Yaya, Thomasi et al should have just said that they were
publishing a self-serving statement written for Yaya by one of his
despicable handlers. That is what this is. We know Yaya is a callous moron
and a thief. The vermin thinks (according to the ‘interview’) that it is a
bad thing to flaunt wealth. Yet, he sits on national TV and boasts that he
is so rich that his upspring will never be poor. And just where did he get
that money from? The savings he had when he was a lieutenant in the army?
Let these morons give us a break. Ah! No, Yaya got his money from his farm.
And just how did he get that farm? Inherited it from his dad? The vermin is
stealing from the people willy-nilly.

It is public record in Swiss courts that Yaya instructed The Central Bank of
The Gambia to transfer millions of dollars to his PRIVATE Swiss Bank
Account. Yaya CANNOT deny this. The then Attorney General of The Gambia
knows that the records exist. What real journalists (interested in the
truth) would have asked Yaya was for him to account for the ‘wealth’ within
the past seven years and tell us how he can explain being richer than Jawara
who was the president for thirty years. That’s how you know whether the
vermin is telling the truth.

Yaya’s conciliatory language towards the EU and Europeans in general is just
lip-service and everyone (including the EU) knows it. Is this man not the
same moron who was few weeks ago castigating the British for allegedly
masterminding the proscription of Baabaa Jobe as an international criminal?
Doesn’t he know that Britain is part of the EU? Such unedited statements
about the British, are the real Yaya. We know the vermin does NOT mean more
than ninety person of what was ascribed to him in this ‘interview’. If
AFPRC/APRC supporters doubt this, let them unleash the moron on national TV
and see what will happen. Let him not hide behind speechwriters and see what
will happen. We will soon start hearing the ‘six feet deep’ infantile
rhetoric that is characteristic of the vermin.

As we move to the campaign season all these AFPRC/APRC lies about education,
health etc. ‘projects’ will be debunked. What the APRC stalwarts did NOT
bank on when they were alienating all those Permanent Secretaries was that
the latter know everything about these ‘projects’. These former civil
servants that are mainly UDP supporters should go to the grassroots and
inform them about these ‘projects’ and the AFPRC/APRC lies. We should reveal
the limited input Yaya’s government put into these projects. The vermin
attributes the first ‘feeder road’ to Kanilai to the EU and NOT to the
Jawara government. But when it comes to the roads that are sponsored by the
donors but constructed during the AFRPC/APRC regime, it is Yaya’s
achievements. Is this man well? Does he know that ninety percent of the
development budget of the country comes from loans and grants? He has no
input whatsoever in attracting these funds. On the contrary, thanks to their
illegal usurpation of power in July 1994, our people lost half of those
grants and loans. Couple with that what the vermin are stealing and putting
in Swiss Bank Accounts. No wonder our people are POORER today than they were
seven years ago (ACCORDING TO FAMARA JATTA’S FIGURES). But you read Marcel
Thomasi’s interview, you think the whole country is ‘educated’ now and our
‘hospitals’ are well-equipped, and people are happy earning a living.

No amount of packaging can erase the truth. Let Marcel Thomasi go and tell
what Yaya said to the poor farmers up country that have to wait two months
to see fifty dalasis. Let Marcel Thomasi tell Yaya and his cohorts about the
‘excellent’ state of our hospitals. Maybe he can convince them to stop
sending their wives to America to have babies and in the process looting
taxpayers’ money. We know this ‘interview’ does NOT reflect the reality in
the country. The reality in the country is a breakdown in law and order
(where citizens are abducted and illegally incarcerated incommunicado). The
reality in the country tells us about the slaughter of defenseless and
innocent children in broad daylight in order to perpetuate a tyrant. The
reality in the country tells us about farmers crying that prices of basic
commodities such as rice and cooking oil have gone up while the government
of the day CANNOT guarantee farmers (even) a conducive environment to earn a
living. The reality of the country tells us that dollars are virtually
nonexistent in the country. Even banks do NOT have foreign currencies.

Gambians are NOT interested in this type of packaging for Yaya to gain
international respect. I do NOT know where Marcel Thomasi was when The
Gambia was implicated in the ‘Blood Diamond’ saga and Baabaa Jobe was
proscribed an international criminal. How can anyone argue that Yaya and his
gang brought respectability to the country? The morons have brought nothing
but shame to us.
KB