GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
TOMBONG SAIDY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 14:37:05 -0500
I stand by what I said. Those who have been following developments in The
Gambia, would agree with me that the governance and human rights situations
have improved for the better. The main reason for the imposition of
sanctions and withholding direct assistance to the government from the US
Government, the 1994 coup but also the 1996 elections were not regarded to
have been free and fair. That was the first elections of President Jammeh
and some things went wrong, however this time around things were much
better.

One case in point was the equal access to the public media (GRTS) for all
political parties. This time around all the parties, the opposition in
particular was given equal access to GRTS. I published the political
broadcast schedule on the L and in all forms of media in The Gambia and was
followed to the letter.

You can read the State Department Human Rights report on The Gambia for the
past five and one can see that things have improved. This does not mean that
The Gambia is free from human rights abuse or that the governance situation
is A+. The fact of the matter is President Jammeh and the APRC Government
are trying their level best to improve the situation. We all do learn from
our mistakes and the President and his party are mastering the art of
governing by learning from their mistakes among other things.

I joined the Gambia-L way back in early 1995 to share my opinion on issues
affecting The Gambia and no body can intimidate me. Whether I am in
government officially or not, does not make a difference when it comes
giving my opinion on issues. I am not a spokesman of the APRC and has never
been. I have the right to share my opinions on this forum like any other
member and I will continue doing so. Even if I am wrong, I have the right to
be wrong, Sir.

I will admit in a heart-beat that things are not perfect in The Gambia and
there is still room for improvement, however the fact is President Jammeh
and the APRC are trying their best improve the situation.

Why do you guys think the US Government lifted the sanction? The simple
reason is that the human rights situation and governance situation is
improving for the better. There has never been a freer and fairer election
than this past one. It was not decided in the Supreme Court as the US
elections were.

Let's move on.

PEACE

Tombong