GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:37:21 -0500
"All public officers during his tenure (July 22nd 1994 to date) would
have to justify where they got their assets. He
said, “from 1994 to date, every one must explain how he got his assets.
This is going to complete my “Operation no
Compromise”. If your relative has built a mansion, tell him to work out
how he got it with justified documents or (he
will) go to jail.”

Tombong,
 To be honest, when I first read the above, the gullible part of me took
over and I came to the same conclusion--Wow, that is in fact a bold
move. It reminded me the opportunity that president Jammeh had back in
1994. Most Gambians gave him the benefit of the doubt with his rhetoric
to fight corruption to the core. Here we go again, and inasmuch I do not
believe that he is genuine, but there is definitely another opportunity
to make at least some things right. But it is fundamental to do it
right. If all public officials are going to be put under a microscope,
including himself, the process cannot be a suspect. The president  and
the APRC--in this case they are the suspect cannot be in charge of
running it. Let us have a commission from the National assembly comprise
of the members of the opposition, renown lawyers like Ousainou Darboe,
members of the Bar association and Religious leaders like Father Cleary.
If Jammeh were to take this kind of move, which I doubt very much, I
will be one adversary that will give him the benefit of the doubt in the
area of his commitment to fight corruption, notwithstanding whatever his
motivation is.

Thansks

Musa Jeng