GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulaye Saine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 16:24:21 -0400
G-L Community:

While some are disappointed in the outcome of the October, 2001
Presidential election, we must all take pride in the fact that the
election was "free and fair" and an improvement on the referendum over
the Constitution and the 1996 Presidential election.  More important,
Decree 89 was lifted, perhaps a little too late, but nonetheless,
LIFTED.  Access to the media by opposition political parties though not
equal, improved somewhat.  A Governance Conference was held, even if
some members of the opposition walked out.  Most of us advocated for a
United Opposition, three parties out of five opposition parties did. And
many donated, however little, to the party/candidate of their choice.
These are what many of us fought for (See the G-L Position Paper).  In
fact, careful analysis would suggest that Gambia-L played an important
role in ensuring a more level and open political terrain and atmosphere
.  ( I will write a longer research paper on this later).  AND WE HAVE A
LOT MORE TO DO!

When we started to send petitions all over, about two years ago, many
felt that it may lead to nothing.  To the contrary, the petitions we
sent around the world(including The Gambia) and the responses we
received made a difference. Equally important, is that the APRC and /or
its representatives on the G-L listened and debated us.  We HAVE AN
AUDIENCE.

The activities of the New York, UK based MRDG, in addition to other
organizations in D.C, North Carolina, Scandinavia, Germany etc., and
numerous petitions, demonstrations and writings by members of the G-L,
helped set the agenda for change, leading to the elections we just
witnessed.  In order words, combined international, domestic and G-L
pressure helped move the political process to where it is now.  In sum,
the political system has opened some, in part because of our activism
and its impact on civic education.  Today, Gambia's civil society is
perhaps stronger for it.

NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO MOVE ON BUT TO STAY PUT AND STRUGGLE FOR MORE!

The Gambia-L, rightly or wrongly has come to constitute, despite our
differences and occasional squabbles, a VOICE(s) that can not be IGNORED
or SILENCED.  All but two of the Presidential candidates addressed
various Gambian communities in the US and Europe and those who could not
sent representatives.

 WE MUST REMAIN ENGAGED!  Many burning issues remain.  These include:

* Release/ Amnesty of/ for all political prisoners;
* More Press Freedoms;
* Voting Rights Bill for Overseas Gambians;
* End to illegal arrests and emphasis on due process;
* Right of Return and Protection of all exiles(self-imposed or
otherwise);
* Deploy students for civic and community service;
* Return of all seized properties to their lawful owners, (if found
innocent of wrong doing);
             (These are just a few things that came to mind.)

Democracy in The Gambia is a work in progress.  DO NOT MOVE ON.  REMAIN
ENGAGED.

Abdoulaye