GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:19:26 -0500
The following is culled from Gambianet.com

-------------------------------
01st October 2003

Jammeh In His Own Words
by Malick Mboob – Daily Observer

President Yahya Jammeh has vowed that his government will henceforth
enforce the money laundering act to the letter.  In a strongly worded
speech on Monday as he installed two new secretaries of state, President
Jammeh announced stern measures against the hoarding of foreign currencies
to take the monies to the bank before Wednesday (today) or face the risk of
forfeiting them to charity.

Below we reproduce the first part of his speech:

First of all, I want to convey my gratitude to you for having accepted my
challenging responsibilities at this state of affairs in our national
development journey. It is not an easy task.  The mere fact that you
accepted at this time has proven your patriotism and, of course, your trust
in government because if you have no trust, there is no way you would have
accepted taking the challenge at this point and time.

May the Almighty Allah reward you, guide and protect you in your endeavour
to render useful services to your country, your people and to yourself.
This country belongs to all of us.  Only we the Gambians can achieve what
we want our country to be. It will not fall from the sky. It will not come
from the sea. It will not come from underground. It has to come from we,
the people of The Gambia.

It will not also come about if none of us is ready to sacrifice. It is
Gambians that will make Gambia what it is today and what it will be
tomorrow and what it was yesterday. Nothing is more difficult for me than
to say goodbye to anyone.  But with the responsibilities I carry, whenever
the need arises, I would have to say goodbye to people and welcome to
people. I remember it was about the same time last year that I called the
entire government including the directors here in this cabinet office and
spoke to them as brothers that what was expected of them, what is expected
of you and me as citizens of this country and as people of leadership and
in a government that is progressive, visionary and patriotic.  I told them
what the consequences were going to be if the trend continues.

Gambia is not the only country facing economic crisis. I the world's
strongest economy, thousands of people are losing jobs.  Thank God in The
Gambia we are not. These are major export economies.  Our economy is a
consumer economy. What I am proud of is the fact that despite all what is
being said around, ours is the best in West Africa and in fact in most of
Africa. If our prices are the highest, how can neighbouring countries be
buying from us and we are not producing those goods in this country? The
problem in this country is the fact that it is even now difficult for me to
believe that we love ourselves and love our country. The reasons are very
simple, because all this regard to foreign exchange are artificial, man
made by economic vampires who have no place in this society.

Last year I asked those who are responsible for addressing these issues to
address them or otherwise heads will roll. After one week, they were
expecting heads to roll, heads never rolled. Two weeks, one month, they
said he is just talking. Now he's always talking. And what is even amazing
is that we Gambians, who call ourselves patriotic citizens of this country,
see people destroying this country and instead of stopping them, we assist
them to destroy this country.  It will not be tolerated by me. We know why
we sacrificed our lives for this country is not because of we want money…
We want to make a difference and this country must make a difference, come
rain or sunshine. As long as I am breathing, as long as we are alive, we
will live to see our dream come true. Nobody except Allah can change… You
and I are responsible and when I say you, it doesn't mean the two of you, I
mean we the Gambians.

I will tell you where you are responsible and where I am responsible for
the economic crisis. Or the so-called economic crisis… They tell people
very soon they will dismiss you or the President is always dismissing
people.  I dismiss people for a reason. I think any honourable person if he
doesn't want to deliver, tell me I am not going to deliver and just give me
back what I gave you because I have 1.3 million Gambians to choose from.  I
see no reason why I will have sleepless nights going around the whole
worlds trying to get something for this country and to move forward while
others are sitting down in offices destroying.

But the people have thought that it is a pleasure for Yahya Jammeh to hire
and fire.  I decided not to take any action for one year so that you and I
will see the effect of not taking drastic action to arrest the situation.
Now you tell me there are economic problems? How much do we love ourselves
as Gambians? Bitter tomatoes are being produced in our backyard gardens and
you take it to the market and sell it for D5 and you said because the
Dollar is rising. Bonga which comes from our river, you come and sell one
for D5 because the CFA is going up.  CFA is not a legal tender in this
country.  But you sit down and instead of telling the person the truth, you
tell him it is the government – we don't know where they are going to.
Yahya Jammeh knows where we are going to and this government knows where we
are going to.

We have allowed non Gambians to dictate what happens in this country and we
have come to a point where… what you Gambians are going to do because when
we introduced aliens tax, unpatriotic Gambian people who have nothing for
this country but hatred and their selfish interest convinced some of you
Gambians to say if the foreigners go, the Government is anti-foreigners.
Now we have seen the effect of activities from foreigners and unpatriotic
elements of this country.

The foreign exchange has fallen by 20%. We did export anything since last
Friday or two Fridays ago. That shows you the problem is man's made. The
law is very clear. There are institutions that should deal with foreign
exchange but because we Gambians no matter who is staying in our country or
in our homes and paying rent, as long as he is giving tips, we don't mind
what he is doing outside and tomorrow, this man will go home and you stay
in your country.

We have to work together to clean the system. There are people who have no
business in this country but buy foreign exchange and hoard it. Our
economic success is the envy of most of our neighbours. If you don't know
you Gambians, I will tell you today. This rumour is spread by unpatriotic
citizens in this country and their reasons are very clear.

They realized that since we started these measures, the foreign exchange is
going down and people have been talking on TV and this year around we ill
have economic recovery because we are expecting a bumper harvest but not
only that, we are expecting also a bumper tourists season.

The timing of the rumour all Gambians should open their eyes and watch
because October is just around the corner is the beginning of the tourist
season. And the only way they can damage this country is to scare tourists
away and that is why they are spreading this rumour of insecurity. That is
their target. And all of a sudden, a radio in our neighbourhood says that
there is a coup in the Gambia and soldiers are shooting in the streets.
That shows you the intention of people that you welcome what they have for
you Gambians.

What else do you want? Why did God give us eyes, ears and nose and
brains..? to know what we are supposed to do. Most people smile at us, we
know that but that's not the issue, it's what we ourselves do. All what
goes on this country I know. Day before yesterday, on Saturday to be
precise, somebody was telling this illegal money changer, just keep the
money. Very soon, may be in a week, they would have forgotten this. They
will not continue with this. We are Gambians telling the foreigners hide
the money…but I know exactly who and who are buying foreign exchange and
hoarding it. From Wellington to Kairaba to Bakau. I know those who bought…
I don't want to do your job for you. I think I should help you so that you
can have a soft landing. We know those who have been selling money to them…

We do not want to make life hard for any of those people but we have the
terrorism bill and the money laundering bill and hoarding of commodities
and currencies is a crime under the Laws of the Gambia.

But because they know now that we know them, I'm giving them till Wednesday
to take

Whatever foreign currency they hoarded, to take it to the bank. As from
now, we will apply the money laundering bill and the anti-terrorism law to
the latter and we will have no mercy for anybody in this country. The money
laundering bill is very clear. You have foreign exchange, you have to
declare. If you don't, we are donating it. If you hold foreign exchange,
you have up to Wednesday to send it to the bank because that is what... If
not, I don't think you want to donate the money or you want to forfeit...
It is not only the responsibility of the security forces; it is the
responsibility of every Gambian to stand up for your country.  What I'm
seeing does not encourage anybody in Government to sacrifice for the people
of this country.

God has given me the responsibility and I know God is testing me and I will
never let God down, much more the patriotic citizens of this country.  We
will not compromise the integrity of this country, the security of this
country and the stability of this country. We want to build a modern
country and nobody except God can prevent us from doing that.  And I know
God will not do so because God wants us to deliver.

I think Gambians should go around. Some of you should travel and see how
foreigners are treated or what others are facing.  I think when you come
back, you will love your country.  It is not only the government now.  What
has Bonga got to do with the Dollar? What has bitter tomato got to do with
the Dollar?  I want to thank Gambia farmers.  During the tour, they said I
insulted the members of the opposition who have no good intention for this
country but bad intention and those who are behind all sorts of rumours
said I insulted Gambians.  They want you to suffer.  I don't want you to
suffer. A farmer has to be a farmer, a fisherman has to be a fisherman and
a minister has to be a minister.

If we all deliver, then we develop a country.  Now, none of those people
have gone to farm.

For the businessmen, Gambian and non-Gambian, don't ever… you will either
be businessmen that will take into consideration the profit you make with
the well being of Gambians or will have to relocate.  We want to make sure
that we do not welcome economic vampires into this country, those who are
just locust moving from one area to another.

It is not possible anywhere in the world, especially in The Gambia, for
prices to increase in every five minutes.  It is not possible for the
businesses especially which regards to basic commodities.  We will do what
other countries do in relation to provision of basic commodities.  You
either work with us or we will work without you and bring basic utility,
commodities to the people.

You… Businessmen who consider profit, alongside with well being of the
Gambians, that means we will go to extreme measure of listing those who
will import basic commodities.  Don't look around and say who are they
going to do this to? They are thousand and one people both in and out of
the country who will be happy to contribute to us. There is no way in the
world where prices are increased in every five minutes. A box of matches
you buy D1, by the time you reach Bakau and come back, it is D5. Where the
hell are they getting the prices from?  Our economy is still the best in
West Africa. Any person who disputes that can see me. But unfortunately for
us, we don't love ourselves. You heard it, what are their targets?  One,
there is nothing they can do about the rainfall.

They were very happy last year.  These are people, so-called Gambians who
want to rule this country.  Billahi Wallahi Tallahi, in one billion years,
they will never be even the alkalos in this country or head of state
because they are nothing but demons for this country. They have nothing to
offer for this country. God is not sleeping, because you will never ever
become alkalos in this country, talk more of being a president or form a
government. Last year, when we faced this problem, they were very happy.
Today, there are unhappy because they have sufficient rainfall. And what
they are praying for is for a catastrophe, so that you Gambians will
suffer.  These are the people who talk to you and you listen to them.  Some
of us listen to them.

What I'm going to do, I am not going to say. But I know what type of action
we are going to take. For the rumour mongering, if you want peace, desist
from rumour mongers and desist from spreading rumours, because if we get
you, if we get you… Now, as I said, is the same Yahya Jammeh I was five
years ago, is the same one since July 22nd, 1994.  I did not change, not
even my hair has changed. I am the same Yahya Jammeh, if you think that
Yahya Jammeh I know from July 22nd has changed, and because he is now a
civilian president, you are making a great mistake.  I thought we can deal
with you humanly… We are going back to July 22nd or days before July 22nd.

Then we are very happy.  This time, I am not going to wait for a month or a
day. Those who think that they have been spared, you got it all wrong.

If you think that by swearing of these two, the period is over.  I told you
last year that I have… an electric broom.  And now that I have started
cleaning up, I have to clean and complete so that we will make a clean
start.  But now, what is a revolution?  A revolution is today, it is not
only July 22nd.

-------------------------

02nd October 2003

Jammeh In His Own Words (contd.)
by Malick Mboob – Daily Observer

President Yahya Jammeh has vowed that his government would henceforth
enforce the money laundering act to the letter.  In a strongly worded
speech Monday as he installed two new secretaries of state, President
Jammeh announced stern measures against the hoarding of foreign currencies
and essential commodities and warned those guilty of hoarding foreign
currencies to take the monies to the bank before Wednesday or face the risk
of forfeiting them to charity.

Below we reproduce the second part of the speech.

There is no compromise and let Gambian please for God sake let us not look
at relatives. We are all related in this country. If you are to look at
each other and follow the geneology we realise that at the end of the day,
we are all one. There is no country in this world that is made up of one
family. We are all citizens of this country. If you think you will allow
people to destroy this country because you hate Yahya Jammeh, before Yahya
Jammeh goes hungry you will be dead. If a president starves that is bad
news for the ordinary people.

I am doing everything possible to make sure that we deliver. We have
forfeited our freedom, we have forfeited our entertainment. I have even
forfeited what I own personally for the well being of Gambians. Nobody can
say Yahya Jammeh is not patriotic citizen. Nobody can say I do not want
this country to move forward. But it is up to you the people to help me so
that we achieve what we want. People were saying, oh during the transition,
things were going smoothly very fast.

The implementation of projects was very rapid. Do you think the
implementation was done by angels? It was done by us the Gambians. But we
have to change attitude.

Instead of being patriotic, most of us are just after our selfish interest.
That will not build a country. We have to sacrifice. In a government, if
you want to have a good name, you will never deliver and if you don't, well
good bye as far as Yahya Jammeh is the president of this country. I am not
going to comprise any more.

So I will repeat to sum up. Interior, there will be no comprise in security
and the type of people that come to our country, that are already in our
country. All good foreigners are welcome in this country. Those who are
responsible for creating turbulence from one country to another, you are in
a different country.

I did some clean up but is not finished, I will also help you along because
you have a long way to go – what I can't even understand, if you are poorly
paid, you should take bribes. If you are poorly paid, your salary should be
subsidised by innocent taxi drivers and passengers.

If you are poorly paid and you cannot take care of your family, the most
honourable thing to do is to leave.

But why do you have to stand or go to remote areas, man check points and
tell the people to give it to you because you are poorly paid.

When I was second Lieutenant, I was receiving D1,300. Why was it D300?
Because of transport allowance. Today how much is a warrant officer
getting. This is the only Government and I can raise my hand in the whole
world that for seven years consistently increase salary by 6 percent.

We either sacrifice to build our country or allow our country to go back to
decadence which I would not allow as far as I am the head of state of this
country.

Those who built Japan are not necessarily the one who are enjoying toady.
Japan was built by the Japanese. But we Gambians have to change our
attitude in the way we see ourselves, the way we see our neighbours and the
way we see our country. If you have a friend, he is a foreigner, what you
allow him to do in your country, if you go with him to his country, he will
be the first to kill you. Why can't we Gambians be patriotic? Why can't we
love our country?

This sort of attitude will not take you anywhere, the country would move
forward but the people would suffer and this is exactly what I was saying a
year ago. We cannot say there is no development taking place because of so-
called economic crisis. Development is taking place and where on earth have
you seen a country in dire economic crisis.